15 week pullet laid a tiny egg today with NO yolk!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JLS, Sep 23, 2010.

1. JLS

JLS Love my feathered babies!

May 29, 2009
    Maine
    My Coop
    I thought pullets started laying no sooner than 17 weeks. Last year my first egg was laid by a pullet at 22.5 weeks of age. It is SO tiny as you can see in the photo. I have 2 silkies but they only lay white eggs, right? So the only other youngsters are wyandottes and EEs. I have no idea who laid it but I am pleasantly suprised [​IMG] Has anyone else had something like this happen? I cracked it open and there was NO yolk! Why does this happen??

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
  2. JLS

JLS Love my feathered babies!

May 29, 2009
    Maine
    My Coop
    Why and/or how does a chicken lay an egg with no yolk?

3. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    That looks about the same size as the eggs I've been getting from my (much older!) girls, unless your hands are much bigger than mine. Theirs have yolks, though. What I am guessing is that she is getting ready to start laying and her body made the white and the egg shell before a yolk (which is the actual ovum) was ready to be released. Kinda like how human women often have anovulatory cycles before regular cycles start when they are just starting, or after having a baby and getting started back up. If you read how chickens make egg, the yolk is made first, then as it moves down the chicken's reproductive tract, the white is added, then the shell forms around it.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
  4. DaniLovesChickens

DaniLovesChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Michigan
    I'm not sure why or how it happens. Covering a yolk is supposed to be the whole point of them laying an egg. I had the same thing happen this year with a few of our pullets. They also laid kinda early.

Maybe laying too early is the reason? Normal eggs will come before too long!

5. franklinstreetwest

franklinstreetwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Urban Jungle
    weird and wonderful! one of my mother's hens layed one no larger than a robin's egg, brown like the other barred rocks, but we never cracked it to look inside. thanks for sharing! wish i'd have taken a pic of my moms.

6. Sushi

Sushi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Michigan
    My silkies lay tinted eggs, a soft pink beige colour.

7. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    The variety of tiny, oversized, no or double yolked eggs just signify the immaturity of the pullet reproductive system. Once they have matured the eggs become 'normal'

Sandie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by