15 wk old pullets - Protein: Vegetable vs Animal? Specific brand for healthier layers?

Kcarp03

Chirping
May 17, 2016
NorthWest Arkansas - Fayetteville
I have 1 GLW, 3 BA's 3 BSL's, & 3 BO's - all pullets. They're now 15 weeks & trying to plan what feed I need to switch them to or what I need to start adding for when they start laying. This is my first "flock", so trying to read thru all the different threads for tips/info. I've read some information stating that all Veggie protein isn't ideal for Chickens as they are omnivores and also if you switch them to Layer feed that you would need to cut out the treats or table scraps since the Layer feed has less protein, unless they treats you are giving them are animal protein. Also, looking at different brands of feed, is there any that may be "better" than the other or is it with most things and just your personal preference & dependent on the region you're in with what's available. I've seen a lot of good reviews on Blue Seal, not sure it's available anywhere close to where I live in NWA Arkansas. Thank you for any feedback or suggestions, it's greatly appreciated!

Do your birds get out to free range? You can either keep them on their grower, or you can put them on multiflock and suppliment with oyster shell in a separate feeder. Even if you put them on layer, you can still offer oyster shell as a supplement. You can also crush your egg shells and feed them back to the birds. You're thinking way too hard about this! There is no one right or wrong way to do it. One thing I would suggest is that you look into fermented feed. Lots of health benefits as well as cutting down on your feed bill.

There is absolutely no reason why you must feed Layer. If they are healthy and happy, in good feather condition with what you are feeding, you don't have to change it. You just need to provide a calcium source for them once they start laying.

I have 1 GLW, 3 BA's 3 BSL's, & 3 BO's - all pullets. They're now 15 weeks & trying to plan what feed I need to switch them to or what I need to start adding for when they start laying. This is my first "flock", so trying to read thru all the different threads for tips/info. I've read some information stating that all Veggie protein isn't ideal for Chickens as they are omnivores and also if you switch them to Layer feed that you would need to cut out the treats or table scraps since the Layer feed has less protein, unless they treats you are giving them are animal protein. Also, looking at different brands of feed, is there any that may be "better" than the other or is it with most things and just your personal preference & dependent on the region you're in with what's available. I've seen a lot of good reviews on Blue Seal, not sure it's available anywhere close to where I live in NWA Arkansas. Thank you for any feedback or suggestions, it's greatly appreciated!

Kcarp, I get my feed from a feed store in West Fork, just south of you. The guy and his dad that own it have been selling feed for 30+ years. I ferment my feed and my birds seem to be doing great. He can answer most of your questions about chickens it seems. He has I think a few hundred birds, and his wife sells eggs at the farmers market. I highly recommend him.

Kcarp, I get my feed from a feed store in West Fork, just south of you. The guy and his dad that own it have been selling feed for 30+ years. I ferment my feed and my birds seem to be doing great. He can answer most of your questions about chickens it seems. He has I think a few hundred birds, and his wife sells eggs at the farmers market. I highly recommend him.
@Pendragonz

I'm actually in West Fork, so that is awesome information. I know exactly where you're talking about & hadn't even thought about going there...duh! We got the cheeps at Fayetteville CoOp & that's where we've been getting everything. Not sure what his hours are during the week or on Saturday? Do you have his Name or the ph# by chance? I will absolutely get in touch with him & get down there if the hours allow it. Thank you!

Do your birds get out to free range? You can either keep them on their grower, or you can put them on multiflock and suppliment with oyster shell in a separate feeder. Even if you put them on layer, you can still offer oyster shell as a supplement. You can also crush your egg shells and feed them back to the birds. You're thinking way too hard about this! There is no one right or wrong way to do it. One thing I would suggest is that you look into fermented feed. Lots of health benefits as well as cutting down on your feed bill
@lazy gardener
During the week, when we're at work, they don't get out to free range until we're home, so M - F they get about 3 hours. on the weekends, they're out at least 8 hours on Sat & Sun. We're on 6 acres so they have a big area to find lots of bugs, etc. And yes, I'm totally overthinking this, which I've been doing since my Hubby "surprised" me with 12 babies that were 2 days old in May. haha I didn't know anything about Chickens, so totally freaked out & went into hyperdrive. :) This Forum has been a godsend for me seriously! I will check into fermenting as I've seen quite a few different people talk about it, thank you for all the help! I will definitely get some Oyster shell.

There is absolutely no reason why you must feed Layer. If they are healthy and happy, in good feather condition with what you are feeding, you don't have to change it. You just need to provide a calcium source for them once they start laying.
@junebuggena
After seeing several different comments on what people are using, I'm finding that out that a lot of people don't use just Layer. I will probably stick with what I'm using & just get the Oyster shell as long as they do good once they start laying. Very good information & I appreicate everyone's feedback, thank you!!

Kcarp, his name is Tony Matthew's. Not sure on the phone #. He's open most of the time, just see if the open sign is out when you're driving by.

Back
Top Bottom