15 wks old,is coop set up ok?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by flash5153, Jul 17, 2010.

1. flash5153

flash5153 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    Take a look and let me know if you think I should make any changes. They have not been in the boxes, Im wondering if they are set up OK.
    I had 8 boxes with perches,,,limited that to 4 boxes. Should I put straw in them.

Im really not sure when to expect the first egg,thinking it could be soon.

Coop is 6 ft X 10 ft and the run is 19 ft X 24 ft.

I am new to this so any input is welcome.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    The first thing that hits me is you need a board to go across the bottom front of your nest boxes or your eggs will get knocked out! It will also help keep your nesting materials from falling out. Also some type of perch in front of the boxes would give them a place to land when they fly up to the nest, that way if there are already any eggs in the nests they will be less likely to get broke when the hen gets in the nest. Other than that...looks good! How many chickens do you have? I didn't see your where they roost, unless it is that short section by the nest boxes. **Oh I just realized how the perches were situated at 90 degree angle to the nests. Paralleled in front of the nests would be easier for them to enter, but it may work fine the way you have it set up.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  3. flash5153

May 23, 2010
    I do have perches in front of 4 of the boxes,, had them on all 8 but was told I did not need that many. I agree about the board across the front of boxes,,,accually I took them off because they was using them as perches. That was before I put up the perches you can see. I will put them back on and see if they still use them.
    There are more perches off to right in the pic,,, can just start to see them in pic.

We have 9 golden comets ,bought from TSC in april.about 15 weeks old. They are like kids,,seem to be having fun in thier home. Spoiled by my GF,, here is what they had for breakfast yesterday.

[​IMG]

4. buckabucka

buckabucka Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    HA! I think I may come by for breakfast too! [​IMG]

I am new to chickens also, so not very knowledgeable about the nest boxes. We are going to try a "community" nest box, but right now I have it blocked off (chickens are almost 10 weeks). I am so afraid they will take to sleeping (and pooping) all over the place in there! Right now, despite about 23 feet of roosting space, they all crowd onto a short 5' roost area, and those that don't fit crowd in a pile on the poop board just below the 5' roost. I'm hoping I can get them into better habits before they are ready to lay.

Good luck with yours! I can't wait for eggs!

Robin

5. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

They'll start showing some interest in their nest boxes when they are ready to lay, you can put hay or shavings in there, whatever is easiest to get.

What kind of predators do you have in your area? Will the hens be locked in the coop at night? The reason I ask is because racoons will blow through regular chicken wire like it isn't there to get to the hens and eggs. Hardware cloth/welded wire on the coop/run will help with that.

Otherwise looks like a very comfy and spacious setup for them, they should do well!

6. flash5153

May 23, 2010
    No,,chickens are not locked up ever. I find it hard to believe a raccoon can get through chicken wire. They have been there for months now,not a problem yet. I hope it dont happen,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by