150- A big step...

geeky_farmer

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 3, 2011
So we are a bit beyond "Backyard" at this point, but since this is where I started my chicken raising journey 7 years ago I thought I would come back with this question.

Next week we are getting 100 Dekalb Amberlinks and 50 Black Austroputs. This will be the basis for our new egg flock. We are planning on adding that many again at the end of the summer, and will also have a couple hundred broilers roll through the farm over the course of the summer.

So that is a BIG STEP from the 30 "Old ladies" we have now. I say old, because we have a 7 year old hen from our first year still...

But with that many chickens I am thinking it is time to start vaccinating.

We have always had our chicks done for Mereks and these will be.

But which others? I am thinking Newcastle because we had wild birds infected up here last year and these ladies will free range.

What are other peoples thoughts? Do you vaccinate, and if so, for what?

Thanks.

Oh my word. 150?!?

I got some of my chicks vaccinated for Mareks, but not all of them. You don't have to vaccinate for anything, and I don't even think it is legal to vaccinate for Newcastle unless you have had a problem with it before.

welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
Why wouldn't it be legal? McMurray sells the vaccine... They also sell Fowl Pox and a couple others. Since they will be on pasture with access to wild birds, I am just trying to be careful.

They are a bit of an investment... LOL!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom