1588 battery backup?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Lunawriter, May 28, 2010.

1. Lunawriter

Lunawriter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2009
    I'm about to start setting some guinea eggs in my incubator, my second hatch ever. We're leaving on vacation next week for ten days. My pet sitter is going to be watching the water level and such, but I don't want to have to worry about a power outage while I'm gone. I thought the hovobator had a battery backup you could buy, but all I'm seeing is an adapter that you attach to a car battery. that doesn't seem like a backup, but more of an alternative power. Is there a battery backup you can attach to run in case of a power failure but otherwise run off electric? If not, how long can you run an incubator on battery power? Should I just leave it on the battery for 10 days?

Thanks!

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I don't know how much power the 1588 actually draws. The fan won't be much but the heater might add up pretty quickly if it has to work much. Have you looked into the computer Universal Power Supplies (UPS)? They only come on when the power goes off and automatically recharge the battery when the power comes back on.

3. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Great idea. Any UPS unit will tell you how long they will run. This depends on how much the equipment will draw. In your case the incubator and perhaps the turner. I can tell you that I have on from Walmart that will run 40 minutes with a computer and monitor. We get power losses quite often, but they are usually less then 10 minutes, so we have pretty much everything hang on them. That includes the TV and satellite/TIVO. They run together for about 10 minutes on the UPS. My guess is perhaps 1-2 hours for an incubator. No wattage listed on the equipment, so I had to guess. Eggs don't cool right away so I think you will be fine on a 6 hour outage. The question do you get lots of outages and how long are they normally? You may be fine without it, even if the power goes out for a few hours.
    Katharina

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by