1588 Genesis Pre-set Thermostat - Who's Already Tried One?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rynegold, Mar 17, 2013.

1. rynegold

rynegold Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    So I ordered one of these incubators and was wondering if anyone out there has any tips/solutions for any problems they may have. If any at all.

I've never used an incubator before and am planning on setting eggs this next week when it arrives.

TIA, mitch

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I have the old 1588 and I always end up having to tweek the knobs to get the temp correct.

The new one has a digital setup... Wish I had that one.

3. ElitePoultry

ElitePoultry Caviar of Chickens

Oct 11, 2012
    Northern California
    I have the new one.

I just finished my first hatch on saturday in it. I wasnt mad.. 13/20 that went into lockdown. I set 36. Over half were shipped eggs. and one of the boxes of eggs came kind of messed up and i still got 1/5 of those!!

I ordered a Brinsea spot check which should be here tomorrow. I have 2 thermometers i dont trust, I was getting some temp variations. So I do recommend getting one. But ive talked with all year hatchers who use nothing else other than these 1588 incubators so they have to be pretty reliable.

Good luck with yours. If I have any tips or tricks I pick up along the way Ill be sure to post them here....

This could turn into the Genesis Hovabator 1588 Official Thread [​IMG]

4. 12321

12321 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2012
    We just got the new 1588 last month. We're on day 8 of our first hatch.
    One tip for the turner - leave the spot by the motor empty. I put a fairly large egg beside the motor and found it pinned in there pretty hard when it tilted that direction. I don't know if it was at it's full range of motion yet, but the egg didn't break and the turner still turns. We had one egg place left open, so just moved it there.
    No problems with the 1588 yet. The humidity reading is about 5% lower than the calibrated hygrometer and doesn't react as fast, but did stable out after a few hours. It took me about 3 days to get everything figured out and stable. It's pretty dry and cool in my basement, and your place will likely be different. To get just over 40% humidity, I filled the 2 outer rectangles in the middle. They lasted for 5 days till they got low and humidity started to drop. To get the humidity up to just over 65% for day 18, I also filled the center square, so all 3 in the middle, plus 2 jam jars. I didn't put any water in the numbered troughs like the instructions said. It gets to temp pretty quick and is very stable - says set for 100 and is always 99.3 - 99.7 which is within .2 of what my other thermometer reads(no idea how accurate that one is).
    I'm still not sure if I'm going to just lay the eggs on their sides for hatching or put them in an egg box. Luckily we're down to about 30 fertile eggs. With 42 chicks and broken egg shells in there, I think it would be pretty tight.

5. ducksarecool12

ducksarecool12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2010
    oklahoma
    I have the automatic hovabator 1588 with the turner and am on day 19. So far so good. I will make a better review after day 21!

6. noahsmom

noahsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2013
    North Eastern, Ky
    I'm on day 12 with my new hovabator genesis 1588! Everything has went fantastic, I have only had to touch the button once to up it .1 degrees because it was just a VERY chilling night and I didn't want the temp to drop to much in the bator, I freak out over just a little bit of change. All my eggs "besides the clears" are developing nicely and love this thing. So far has been very reliable, I hope everything goes well through hatch. I would definitely recommend with the auto egg turner, good luck and congrats!

7. lcammack

lcammack Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2011
    I have the digital 1588 and have used it for two hatches last summer and have it running right now on day 11. I have had great results and have not had to touch any buttons. I did find it a little difficult to keep humidity up during lock down, but now I just use a sponge under the vent hole so that it is easy to add water. I love it. Oh, and I did ignore the directions and keep the vent open always without any problems. It is important to have enough fresh air inside the incubator. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by