1588 Hovabator question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cjexotic, Feb 25, 2009.

1. cjexotic

cjexotic Cj's Mandarin Ducks

Mar 11, 2008
    Central PA
    Hi all,

Got my bator yesterday and eggs due next week. So I was reading the instructions and it says it is set for 100 -100.5. Is this true?
    Doesn't it need to be at 98.5? I am going to test it this weekend when I am around (and not at work). But if I have to change it the instructions for the toggling to back it off is a bit confusing.
    Hoping someone can guide me. Thanks cj

2. suenrob

suenrob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Ft. Myers, FL
    The 1588 comes preset, you shouldn't have to do anything to it. I have never had to adjust mine. It stays right at 100 (which is the correct temp, not 98.5)

Happy hatching!!!!!!!!!!

3. cjexotic

Mar 11, 2008
    Central PA
    woohoo..[​IMG] thanks
    Do you like yours? Where do you do your hatching at?

Cj

4. PQ

PQ Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Platina, Ca.
    What are you hatching? Chickens need the 100 but other birds/rep require diff temps.

5. suenrob

Jan 22, 2008
    Ft. Myers, FL
    Quote:Good point!! I guess I assumed everyone hatches chickens. You know what they say about people who assume!!!!

So are you hatching chickens CJ? If not, then my info is wrong, sorry
    To answer your other question, Yes! I love my hovabator!! I have a spare bedroom in the house that I incubate in. I keep the chicks in the house for the first 2 weeks.

6. cjexotic

Mar 11, 2008
    Central PA
    I am sorry I did not say what I was incubating. [​IMG]
    I am hatching out silkies. I am just trying to decide where to put the bator. This is my first hatch.. well I guess after thinking about it its not.
    about 3 years ago I hatched out 4 Royal Palm Turkeys. Forgot about that. I had a Little giant and did not do so well with it. As if I remember correctly I had 12 in the bator.

I just hatched out (ok a hen just hatched out) [​IMG] 22 blue baby silkies.
    Well two hens sat side by side but one had all the eggs. I never thought they would hatch out. As she had them stacked. Every time she got off the nest to eat, drink and poop the other hen would steal the eggs and it went back and forth. At the end she had all the eggs. Now both are taking care of the brood. She was sitting on 24 eggs and only 2 did not hatch.. Not bad for the live-a-bator. Hope I get just as good results.

Eggs will arrive next week just in time for my birthday. [​IMG]

cj

7. 1mommahen

1mommahen Love My Cluckin' Coop

Mar 20, 2008
    NJ
    cj, I'm waiting on my 1588 to arrive this week. I too, used an LG once in the past and had a horrible hatch, 1/17. Where did you get your 1588?

8. cjexotic

Mar 11, 2008
    Central PA
    Cutler's.. was able to save a bit as I have a internet parrot supply store.. so they gave me a discount on it and the turner. And it came in 2 days.
    I was going to get the Top Hatch but most of who sells them does dropship and the wait from the manufacturer was 2-3 weeks. Brower will not sell direct unless you give them a check for $3000 to go towards future orders.. so that was out. So did not want to take a chance of the eggs arriving before the bator did. So had to pass on it.

ok got the right knowledge on temp for chicken eggs.. 100 degrees
    What should the humidity be during incubation and then for the 3 days to hatch?

cj

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  9. suenrob

Jan 22, 2008
    Ft. Myers, FL
    55% then 70% for the last 3 days. Let us know how it goes, good luck [​IMG]

10. PQ

PQ Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Platina, Ca.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by