1588 Humidity 63-66% To High??

DENALI

Songster
11 Years
Feb 27, 2008
Its holding temp between 99.5 and 100.0 every time i check but the humidity has always been 63-66%. The bater has been running for 24 hours now and I added the eggs last night at 10 so they have been in there for 14 hours. I do not know what the humidity was in it prior to adding the eggs as i didnt put the hydrometer in until the eggs went in.

Thanks

That's a bit too high for the first 18 days. Can you remove some of the water? If not, you'll just have to wait until the water evaporates. You want the humidity in the 47-55% range.

There are many opinions about humidity levels but these are the levels that I've read from some of the "senior" hatchers on this site.

Take some water out. Make sure the entire thermometer and probe is inside the bator to get an accurate reading. Depending on your natural humidity you may have to let it run dry for a while then slowly add water.

Ya that's a bit to high...what I did was take tin foil and cover some of the surface area over the water troughs. It works almost right away. Or within 1/2 hours time. Get it down to about 45 percent no higher then 50 tho

Does removing the red plug in the top help much or should i just remove water first?

Your temps look fine. I would take all the water out and start again.
old.gif
Here is what I do starting with NO water. Take the red plug out and with a straw go down through the hole about an inch foward and put in 15cc with a syringe, that will be enough to get the reading of about 45%. Note- the room humidity has alot to do with the bator humidity. My room humidity is around 40-42% humidity. Ok we have added the water, now put the plug back in. These eggs are going to go through a sweat the first few days so they wont use alot of water, but keep notes on the room humidity and the bator humidity 2 times per day to help you see whats going on. I let my bator get down to about 36% before I add any water and most of the time I add around 15-20cc with the straw and syringe. You will get the hang of it fast by keeping notes on the % humidity and the amount of water added. Now on day 18 I add more water till I get the humidity no less than 65% add water slowly to watch it climb. You may have to place a small pan of water inside to get the humidity at 65% or higher. I lay a folded paper towel across the pan and let it wick up the water careful not to wet the eggs. If you will do this and keep notes in 4-5 days you will have the hang of it.
old.gif

Quote:
Ok so i should just take the water out then rather than cover part of the tray up? I already covered about 40% of it with foil about 15 minutes ago and its back up to 53% so i am going to go cover more area and if that doesnt do it then i will remove all the water and go from there.

Make sure your hygrometer is accurate. I have more problems with keeping the humidity high enough, than too high, even with us having afternoon rains every day here for the past week.

Back
Top Bottom