1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

1588 incubator....foam quality and what could make it better?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Intheswamp, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    I've read some glowing reports about the 1588 incubator and believe it is probably the best styrofoam incubator on the market right now. I'm curious, though, as to what people who have experience using the 1588 think are things that could be improved about it or things that they've actually done to improve it.

Maybe a 1588 "modifications" list????

One specific thing I'm wondering about is the styrofoam itself. Does it hold up well or does it take a beating rather quickly...inside and outside? Is it run-of-the-mill cheap mass produced styrofoam cooler material or is it a better grade, heavier (more dense) foam?

Thanks!
    Ed
    =============================================
    Ok, here is a list of the modifications, "would be nice to have item", or "you might like to know" that folks have mentioned:

*1. Handles added to the lid.
    *2. Add plastic tubing so that water can be added to the water tray from the outside via a funnel or syringe. (There is still a question of being able to tell how much water is in the tray, especially if the incubator is full of eggs).
    *3. Put a drop of super glue or epoxy on the fanblade to keep it from sliding down the shaft. The blade sliding down tends to make the fan louder so if your incubator starts making more noise your fanblade my need sliding back in place.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I think it's just regular styrofoam, like a cooler. I've hatched in it twice, and it's in excellent condition still.

The only thing I wish it had was handles on the top half. !

3. tellynpeep

tellynpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
    I agree about the handles. Every time I open it, I have to get a grip with my fingernails, so the top half has lots of little gouges in it now from my nails.
    I love the bator though: Our power went out last night for an hour. The LG (using as a hatcher) temp dropped really fast, but the hova didn't lose a degree (I covered both with a blanket.) My poor chicks in the process of hatching got a trip to the car and got to warm up with the car's heater (way too dry for my babies!)

4. Intheswamp

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    Handles shouldn't be a problem installing. Several options I would think are available.

Probably the simplest would be to thread nylon string through the styrofoam in two places using a needle. This would create a loop on the outside....slide some aquarium plastic tubing or something over the string before inserting the final end if you want a more substantial handle. On the inside don't simply tie the string ends together as this will start to cut into the styrofoam creating a large "slit". Instead, tie the string's ends to large buttons, a piece of dowel, etc, so that the weight of the lid is dispersed over a wider area of the foam. You could secure the buttons with some hot glue. I just got to thinking about it and the top would probably be cut by the string, too. In that case I would think a buttons glued to the top where the strings enter the lid would hold the string and keep it from cutting into the lid. YMMV

Another option, which would be more expensive if you don't already the glue on hand, is to simply glue a piece styrofoam to the lid using either "foam-safe CA (super glue)" or possibly epoxy. If you use "super glue" be absolutely sure that it is FOAM SAFE being as if it's not it will eat up the foam. I've used both the foam-safe super-glue and epoxy with good result on RC airplanes made out of foam. Again...use only FOAM SAFE CA/SUPER GLUE!!!

On either of these ways I'd put a handle on either side of the top of the lid.

Just some thoughts...for what they're worth. [​IMG]
    Ed

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  5. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    One modification I have seen but have not yet done on mine is an installed tube for adding water. With the egg turner in there and even only 26 eggs it is impossible to see the waterr level and adding is difficult. There ws a thread on here a week ago showing how someone inserted a tube in the bottom half, I think I am going to do that after this hatch.
    Yes handles on the top is another good one.
    The styrfoam does eem to be just cooler grade, but since you won't be kicking you incubator around I can see it holding up very well, indeffinately.
    Good thread by the way!

6. Intheswamp

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    Keep the feedback coming. I'm going to add suggestions to the original post as they come in so the brief idea of each mod can be found in one place....a "Reader's Digest Condensed Version", if you will. [​IMG]

Ed

7. jnjross

jnjross Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    edwards, ms
    I had been thinking about a putting a knob where those round spots are on the top.

the foam is diff than cooler and lg, the pellet that make the foam are smaller, it was the first thing i noticed, then the double pane window. [​IMG]

i also like th lg turner in there it takes up less room so the thermometer sit right .

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  8. Intheswamp

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    Quote:Hmm, a couple of knobs would probably work better than the nylon string handles. A washer on the bottom side would make a good sandwich of the knob, foam, and washer. Good idea!

I've been curious about the foam. There are some RC airplanes that are made of elapor foam. It is a *very* durable foam that regular super glue can be used on (won't melt). It has a very tight grain pattern in that there are no crevices between the grains of foam. That would make a *very* durable foam incubator. Dell Computer at one time shipped computers padded with elapor.

Tell the truth...do you really like that double pane window?[​IMG]

Is there much difference in quality between the LG and the GQF egg turners?

Ed

9. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    It's made of some fancy styrofoam! I have an LG which is cheap cooler styrofoam, but the 1588 is nice and actually has some mass to it. I'm very pleased with it so far. Only thing I'd want to fix would be to make the blasted fan quieter. Conveniently my room has the most stable temp... and that fan is noisy!

10. jnjross

jnjross Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    edwards, ms
    yes here's a pic to help me explain you can see white spacers on top of the fan unit, those spacers are sandwiched between the plexiglass, it's about a 5/8in between them,
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by