Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lincolnsilkies, Sep 10, 2011.

1. lincolnsilkies

lincolnsilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    Lincoln Nebraska
    well i ordered the 1588 i read alot of positive things about this one i should have it by tuesday i have some eggs that i have collected from rosie (silkie) and i was thinking of buying some also so we will see how it goes any suggestions would be great i will be doing silkie eggs thanks! wish me luck!!!

2. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    you will probably have a much higher hatching rate with your own eggs. If you receive shipped eggs, don't get to discourage if less then half of them hatch.

3. silky_3699

silky_3699 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2011
    My Own Realm!!!
    whats the 1588????

4. lincolnsilkies

Aug 27, 2011
    Lincoln Nebraska
    oops srry
    HovaBator Genesis 1588 Electronic Egg Incubator wTurner

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I've got three 1588's. They've hatched lots of chicks for me. Using your own eggs will definately produce a better hatch rate than shipped eggs.

6. jmc

jmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    Quote:Katy, I take it you think rather highly of the gen. 1588? how long have you been using them? And do you use a separate one for hatching?

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:Katy, I take it you think rather highly of the gen. 1588? how long have you been using them? And do you use a separate one for hatching?

I've had them since they first came out, I'm not real sure how long that's been....Before that I had and still use the 1590 which was the earlier version of the 1588. Before that I used a LG....we won't talk about that piece of poo.

Before I cut back on how many chicks I was hatching they were usually all four going, either as incubators or as hatchers. Now I try to only have one incubating at a time and I plug another in to use as the hatcher.

8. dwegg

dwegg Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a 1588 and love it. It is idiot proof...follow the directions, fill the trays and bam! Chicks! Every time

9. lincolnsilkies

Aug 27, 2011
    Lincoln Nebraska
    Question here what should the temp be in the incubator and humidity level and at what day would you suggest to do the candle test i will be dong some silkie eggs that i have collected from my coop plus i did order some thanks so much for everyones help!!

10. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:99-100 is the temp. Humidity is a little trickier. 30% for the first 18 days and then up to 60% for the last 3 days is what I've found works for me and the location I live in. But that can be a bit different for someone else. You just have to figure out what works for you.

If you've never candled before it's best to wait till about day 10. By that time there will be no doubt,even for a novice, if they're growing or not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by