15mo Buff won't drink and eats very little

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by grammycracker2000, Jul 15, 2010.

1. grammycracker2000

grammycracker2000 New Egg

Jul 14, 2010
    I have 2 Buffs and one has been sick for a week now. She won't leave her nest, she's all fluffed up, eats very little and I ca't get her to drink water. Her poop is green and white at the end. She hasn't had any trauma, broken bones. When she first got sick notice her pooped had harded around her vent so we soaked her in the tub and cleaned her up and used vaseline in and around her vent. We didn't feel any egg in her so the next day we notice her prolapsing so we use 1/2 a preparation H suppository. This helped for a little while like 3 hours and now she's back in the coop in her nest. The coop is my son's old ice house and it has two nesting boxes and wood shaving. We change the water in a 2 gal galvenized waterer and they eat laying pellets and scratch feed and crushed oyster shells. Does anyone know if she has a disease or sickness of some kind?? Any opinions or comments or remedies, would be greatly appreciated.

2. IcarusSomnio

IcarusSomnio Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2010
    Vernon County, MO
    Are there any eggs under her? Does she get nasty when you try to move her off the nest?

Does the poop smell horrible?

Almost sounds like she's gone broody, but I could be wrong.

3. grammycracker2000

Jul 14, 2010
    no she hasn't laid an egg for 8 days. no she's not nasty, she actually likes being held. Her poop smells like poop nothing god awful. What is broody?

4. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    A broody is a hen who would like to sit in the nest and hatch babies. She may just be waiting for someone to contribute to the cause (give her eggs). If you don't want her to hatch, be persistent in removing her from the nest whenever you see her in there.

5. grammycracker2000

Jul 14, 2010
    Thanks for your info. I'll try putting some eggs in her box. It puts me at ease to know she isn't sick and dying. Thanks again, I really appreciate it![​IMG]

6. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Continue to monitor her. If you see any other symptoms, be sure to check in and let us know. Hopefully it is just broodiness, as it's common in this breed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by