16,000 Brown Egg Layers for Adoption, Carolina Waterfowl Rescue

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by greenfamilyfarms, Nov 25, 2009.

1. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Email from Carolina Waterfowl Rescue, Indian Trail, NC

"We were contacted by another group who is caring for 16,000 (yes 16thousand!) brown egg laying hens. They are all less than 2 years oldand were originally destined to an organic egg laying farm (whoclosed? not sure all the details). We have had good responses to ouremails about chickens before so we offered to distribute one in searchof homes for these hens. If you are interested in the hens pleaseemail me exactly the number you want, your name, address, email andphone number. You will be put on a list to be contacted when the hensarrive. They will all be dropped at the rescue and you will beresponsible for picking them up in 24-48 hours. All hens areregistered through NPIP and have health certificates and were givenvet exams.

As if the email wasn't off topic enough! I was also contacted bysomeone whose cow passed away giving birth to 4 calves. They do nothave the ability to bottle feed the 4 calves and are looking forsomeone to take them. If you are able to volunteer to bottle feed thecows please let me know you can take calved home initially since theyare fairy small. Also needing someone to adopt cows when they areolder but preferably someone can take cows now from start to finish. Preferably we can find someone who will feed the calves and be able tokeep them. I don't know much about cows but i will get more details ifsomeone can help out.

As always we have lots of ducks and geese needing homes. So pleasecontact me as well if your looking for ducks or geese. Emails is [email protected]

2. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    wow, that's a lot of birds. I wish I was closer so I could help out!

3. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    Hmm
    NC is only a state away [​IMG]

But I cant [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

My Goodness. I wish we were closer, we could take a hundred or so. That is a lot of chickens.

5. kittykorat

kittykorat Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2009
    Central MA
    Thay is a lot of birds!!! I would take a couple if I was closer... but that would be maybe a 15 or 16 hour drive.

6. herefordlovinglady

herefordlovinglady It Is What It Is

Jun 23, 2009
    Georgia
  7. feedstorechick

feedstorechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Are you sure this isn't a spoof email? I have never heard of a single cow giving birth to 4 live calves. And 16,000 hens with health certificates and vet exams?

Who could afford to take this on, and how do you move 16,000 birds unless you have access to an 18 wheeler?

8. herefordlovinglady

herefordlovinglady It Is What It Is

Jun 23, 2009
    Georgia
    Quote:Check out the link I provided. The OP found confirmed that the calves were orphaned and not from the same mother. There is also a link to the rescue organization for the chickens.

9. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Quote:I have met this lady and she's for real. As for the cow part, she really has no experience with cows. I really doubt that one cow gave birth to 4 babies, but at least they were willing to find them a new home. The hens, from my understanding, are from a facility that planned on using them for an egg production operation and then had to abandon ship.

10. feedstorechick

feedstorechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Quote:Thanks for the link. It makes more sense that all the calves were not from one mother. If one rescue is actually paying to feed 16,000 hens until they find homes, that's amazing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by