1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

16-18 week old Silkie - Is 'he' a 'she'?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by pipdzipdnreadytogo, Aug 16, 2013.

1. pipdzipdnreadytogo

pipdzipdnreadytogo Cluck, Quack, YAK-YAK-YAK! Premium Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop
    At my own risk, I picked up a Silkie last month from someone that thought it was a pullet but wasn't 100% sure. Well, over the last week I started suspect that Margaret was a boy, and then a couple nights ago he had a brief fight with an Easter-egger cockerel I had introduced to him to keep him company. So he's a he for sure, right?

But on another thread that I have been posting about him on, a couple of people have said that they still think 'Marka' is a 'Margaret'. I've been observing 'him' closely over the past couple days and, well, at this point I just don't know. I mean, I think I know, but I don't know. :lol: I wouldn't mind if Marka was a boy as I suspect he is, but I would be happier to find that he's still a Margaret!

So I thought I would start a tally here and see what everyone thinks. The person I got her from was not sure of 'his' age but gave me a general range. 'He' should be 16-18 weeks old right now. So should I be calling this bird Marka or Margaret?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In this picture, you can see 'his' overall coloration:

[​IMG]

As far as behavior, besides the fight he had with the other cockerel, 'he' has been behaving pretty girly. 'He' ran to my Cochin cockerel that was chirping with a treat, and then the Cochin wing-danced at 'him'. On a number of occasions, the EE cockerel has tried to grab 'him' through the bars like that EE does with the other pullets. This Silkie also let a group of about 14 week old pullets beat up on 'him' and keep him from eating.

Thoughts? :confused:

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm going to say rooster, due to the small crest and rather large wattles and comb. However, I'm not 100% sure on this answer, as Silkies are extremely difficult to sex.

3. pipdzipdnreadytogo

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop
    Yeah, that's where I'm at, too! This is my first Silkie, though, so I really have no clue. :lol:

4. naightengale

naightengale Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2013
    Rocky Mount VA.
    My Coop
    id say roo....bright blue ears and backwards pointing "hair"

5. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    Silkies should have blue ear lobes, both males and females. I do agree that it is a boy though. The comb has a slight reddish tint.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  6. pipdzipdnreadytogo

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop
    Okay, thanks. That is what I was thinking, too. :) So I have myself a Marka! He will be sharing 38 hens with the little Cochin boy mentioned in my first post, then, as long as he's a good boy. (The EE cockerel is out, too aggressive and violently human shy. :/ )

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Looks like a pullet to me.

8. Chickenfan4life

Chickenfan4life Overrun With Chickens

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    Honestly, if I'd have togive an answer, I would still say pullet. The way you describes his/her behavior just sounds like a pullets.

And, y'know what? I had a silkie pullet that I could have SWORN was a cockerel, looked just like yours, and then she laid her first egg. So, honestly, if you don't mind having a rooster, then you don't have to worry about the gender. Just let the answer be a surprise for you. (But if you're like me, and absolutely have to know, then I understand!)

9. Tricoglossus

Tricoglossus Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    I have a silkie hen that had the same overall features of it's head when it was the age of your bird here. Small crest, small wattles. I'm leaning more towards pullet with this one, but then again it might turn out to be a slowly maturing roo. Please let us know they outcome!

10. pipdzipdnreadytogo

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop
    Oh man, Silkies are hard, huh! Well, I guess Marka/Margaret will be a wait and see bird, then. Although it's kind of killing me not knowing. :lol: I'll be sure to update here when I know for sure. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by