16 Appleyard Ducks in My Brooder

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MissPrissy, May 22, 2008.

1. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Tuffoldhen and I went in together with an order of Silver Appleyard Ducks from Holderread's. After waiting over 2 months it was finally our turn to recieve our shipment.

They arrived at my PO this morning having been shipped out on Tuesday evening.

[​IMG]

The PO called before they open due to the loud box. LOL

[​IMG]

I fed them a spinach and honey water puree for 10 minutes then took it away.

[​IMG]

They loved it!

[​IMG]

Isn't this the cutest thing?

[​IMG]

And already they are super messy too!

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I got baby ducklings coming to my house!!! [​IMG]

Grandsons are going to be tickled pink!! Mamaw has ducks!!...lol

3. fowlfriends

fowlfriends Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2007
    Battle Ground, Wa
    Those babies are absolutely beautiful!!!

4. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    It's amazing how fast the PO is willing to move and deal with you when the box is noisy and driving them nuts!

Cute ducklings! I have just one question though, is there room left at your house for the human inhabitants?

5. highmountainchick

highmountainchick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2008
    Farmer kitty, I was curious about that myself, MissP, you should start offering tours of your rapidly developing farm. give the rest of us ideas on how to increase the numbers of our feathered friends --- LOL

6. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Awww! I need some more baby ducks!

7. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I am very very fortunate with this place we purchased here in Va. I have 2 barns (with one larger than my house), a tobacco barn/ corn crib and a gardening shed that was once the original chicken coop. One of my barns was a 1915 commercial poultry barn. I have lots of room. One room in the poultry barn holds 500 chickens. They need cosmetic work but are solid and sound housing for all sorts of poultry.

8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Cute ducklings...you and Sandy are lucky girls. Maybe I should stop taking my call ducks' eggs away and let them hatch some. [​IMG]

9. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Awesome! I love love love my Appleyards. We'll be processing our first batch to eat the first week in June, too. They're a true triple-purpose breed.

I have one more appleyard sitting on her eggs. I went out this morning and two drakes were on her nest and she was just standing there next to it like "what?" Hope they let her back on.

BTW, did you see what I meant by some are nearly all black? I don't think it's sex linked, though.

10. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I am marking the dark ones just to see how they develop into a mature duck. Also they included a solid white appleyard as an extra duckling in the order. They marked it. I'll be watching it too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by