16 Chickens + Coop = ?

5Chickens

Songster
12 Years
Dec 13, 2007
I Have 16 Chickens.Standred size.How big will the coop need to be.I Have a 12 foot by 10 foot coop.Is that big enough?

Rule of thumb around here is 4 sq ft per bird. So with a 10x12, you have 120 sq feet divided by 4 equals 30 birds. Heck, you have room to double your flock easily. And some people will adamently argue for the 3 sq ft. So then you could be up to 40 birds, and heck, if you add on, you could get 200 birds.

See how this works
tongue.png

The general rule of thumb is 4 sq. feet, per chicken, for the inside of the hen house and 10 sq. feet, per chicken, for the outside run area.

That may be different if you free range or your chickens always have access to the outside, etc.

Just remember -- you can never have too much space since you will want more chickens in the future!
smile.png

You could have 30 heavy breed chickens in a coop that size, but yes, you would need a good size run.

Figure 4 sq feet for heavy breeds (orpingtons, australorps etc), 3 for standard breeds (leghorns) and 2 sq feet for bantams, for coop size, and 10 sq feet for each for run size.

Thanks!I am going to order 10 now instead of 16.already Have 20 in another coop...Chickens are sooo addicting
tongue.png

2 Easter Eggers
2 Black Austrolorps
1 RIR
2 Buffs(One Roo and one Hen)
1 Blue Cochin
1 Turken
1 Buff Brahma

All Hens except the one roo.
smile.png

I am going to Free range them in the day but put them up at night.They Have 4 acres to roam around on.

Back
Top Bottom