16 chicks arrived dead

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Judy, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    of the 51 I ordered from McMurray. I live in rural south GA so it was a long trip from Iowa, and they did not arrive til today, Tuesday. Looked like they had piled in a corner for warmth and suffocated. Worked with 4 or 5 other puny ones for a few hours and it looks like they will survive. At this point, all the survivors look healthy and are running around and eating and such. Just too long in shipping. I won't order from them again simply because they ship on Saturday, which I assume makes for one inactive day in shipping, Sunday. No complaint about the hatchery; that's not the problem, though they will bear the credit expense. I ordered 6 different varieties and cannot yet identify all the chicks, but I do know the Australorps all survived, and half the buff Orps did not.

Ideal would make more sense for me, I know, but I wanted some Speckled Sussex hens.... will be a while before I know whether I have any....

They included at least 3 or 4 extras, Orps.

2. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    Last I checked, Ideal is out of Speckled Sussex until May. I'm so sorry for your loss. Best of luck on your next order.

3. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Ive had them arrive on Tuesday and were just fine. And they do move on Sunday, they dont sit anywhere. Id blame the cold weather rather than being in transit for 3 days.

4. Patch of Heaven Farm

Patch of Heaven Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Sorry to hear about your chicks.

5. Kezzie

Kezzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Coastal Georgia
    I'm so sorry about your babies. That makes me heartsick! My order is coming from MM from this Saturday's hatch. I'm just outside of Savannah. I'm worried I'll experience a similar result! I'm contemplating canceling.

6. the_eagle69

the_eagle69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Far SW VA
    3 days in transit is not bad if conditions are right. i feel that there is a missing link some where in the shiping prosses that has not been there in the past. it seams to be industry wide from what i have been reading and only certin areas of the country. It may also have some to do with temps they have been changeing greatly across the country the past few weeks.

7. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    2 orders from MM to eastern PA had severe losses on Monday. We think the cold was too severe for them. Both lost over half. One order was for 50 and the other for 25. Both shipped Friday. Both parties are going to try for immediate replacements because the weather looks better this week. We hope.
    It was a rough Monday for the two families. Post office said there were a few other shipments of chicks too, but we don't know where they ended up.

MM is cooperative and waiting for final toll tomorrow.

8. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I had no problem with MM's response when I phoned. Actually, the person said they replace any losses incurred during the first 48 hours, which I did not realize, and suggested I wait to see how the puny ones do. I've lost one more since I started this thread, one I did not anticipate losing. Been looking on Feathersite to try to identify the chicks that made it. I don't blame MM at all, though I have some doubts about the Sunday thing, even though one poster here said they are not idle that day. I blame the USPS. Probably Fedex as well, but USPS did contract with them. BTW, local USPS employees were mostly not familiar with receiving chicks but did their job well....

I realize Ideal did not have SS pullets available; that's why I chose MM.

I feel the survival rate would have been much better had they arrived Monday, but I realize they might not have from Texas, either. Just frustrated at the slow shipping, and that, evidently, there is no alternative. Last weekend our TSC had BO,s RIR's, and BR's. If I replace, it will probably be from them.

9. chuckyjo

chuckyjo Out Of The Brooder

I wouldn't dream of ordering any living animal through the mail! Especially not vulnerable little chicks.

It seems very cruel to me.

Is there really nowhere closer to home to get them, or could you not keep a breed which didn't require shipping?

Hatching the eggs yourself could be the answet-you could still get them shipped, and although the hatchability may not be as high, at least you wouldn't be gambling with the lives of living breathing chicks.

Maybe I'm being very niave-I didn't realise this was a normal way of getting chicks!

10. Blondie

Blondie Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi there,
    Sorry to hear about your chicks. [​IMG] I live about 45 minutes south of Atlanta and am expecting my 52 chicks this coming week. I've been watching the weather and it doesn't seem too bad.

2 years ago I ordered from MM at the same time and there was a terrible cold streak running thru the US. My order came in just fine. I do believe the vast majority of orders are delivered without problems.

It looks like the weather will be OK this weekend (at least a lot better than it was with my order 2 years ago).

I'm really excited, but don't want to get my hopes up too much!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by