16 degrees and 2 and half month old chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TheTwoRoos, Dec 3, 2016.

1. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Next week it is supposed to be 16 in the morning.Our coop stays warm,but the chicks cannot stay in their smaller coop all day long,it is too dark and they probably will get claustrophobic.There is 4 of them and the high is only gonna be 26.They do ok in 35 and up,but 16 seems a bit extreme.

They'll have the geese dog house to sleep and cuddle in,but I still do think it's too cold,what about you?

2. PeepersMama

PeepersMama Overrun With Chickens

They would probably need another source of heat if it get's that cold. Don't worry about them getting clautrophobic, but keep an eye out for feather picking. If their coop isn't insulated, you might want to bring them in the house. Alot of people are mostly against adding heat, but I say if they look cold, use it.

If you didn't add heat, then they would be more acclimated to the climate for next winter, and they wouldn't be quite as freaked out about temps that cold.

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I have similar problem and have watched even younger chicks deal with even colder temperatures pushing below 0 F. When it gets really cold they will try to find a location that is in direct sun but protected from wind. Make so such a location is covered in dry hay or straw. They will not cuddle like you would expect as they will stand just a little apart to keep feathers fluffed as much as possible. Make so they do not have to walk far from there to get eats. Water will be a challenge as young birds are more water demanding when fed dry food only. If you have a heated waterer then you are better than I. Such young birds are going to chew through the contents of their crop very quickly making to the early morning ours may involve them starting consume fat reserves. Supplemental light for such young birds can be used although temperatures down around 10 F is where I would start that.

4. TheTwoRoos

Sep 25, 2015
    We never started with lights,and where theyc ame from just had regular light bulbs hung up for them,although i'm pretty for sure it is now armer in that coop of chicks as it is in our coop.

5. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    The lighting when used I do not value as a heat source, rather it allows chicks to simply eat more making for a more continuous extraction of energy from diet. Even consider providing some shell corn and wheat grain as they can allow tighter packing of crop at each feeding. My chicks at four, sometimes three weeks, will consume shell corn even when crop appears topped off with a quality chick starter.

6. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    It's far better to heat your ten-week olds from the inside, as centrarchid is pointing out, than to use an external heat source.

Chickens are pretty efficient at keeping a toasty body temperature even in very cold temps, as long as you supply them the fuel in the form of good quality feed with sufficient calories. They will convert those food calories into heat much as wood burning produces heat.

I would suggest a low wattage light that is enough to let them find their feed and eat if they need to consume more calories during the night, maybe on a timer.

You might also consider a huddle box where they can cram together to preserve body heat, maybe lined with space blanket material, found in the camping section at W-mart.

Adding external heat may interfere with them being able to acclimate to the cold, and winter is just getting started.

7. TheTwoRoos

Sep 25, 2015
    Alright we put a normal light bulb up in the coop fir during the day.They have water food and the wartm of the coop and eacother

8. PeepersMama

PeepersMama Overrun With Chickens

That sounds good. One of the big things besides keeping it warm is keeping it dry. If there's alot of moisture from their breath in the air, they might get frostbite.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by