16 hour old chick keeps falling onto back.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Moa, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Moa

Moa New Egg

Sep 8, 2009
    Hi. I just found this forum. I'm curious about one of our baby chicks. It hatched last night and doesn't seem to be able to walk. It scoots, and it falls/rolls onto it's back. It almost seems like an equilibrium issue...?
    I'm not at all familiar with brand new chick ailments.
    Thanks.

2. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    [​IMG]

sorry I have no idea, but hopefully someone with more experience will respond

3. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    I don't know either. You might try the search feature and see if you can find anything. Someone will surely come along soon to help you. [​IMG]

4. NeWcHiCkAdDiCt

NeWcHiCkAdDiCt New Egg

Jul 19, 2009
    Georgia
    I had a chick do the same thing, it passed away that same day, I think it was Mareks,which there is no cure for, sorry to give depressing information, of course it doesnt mean your chick has it, but be prepared just incase.

5. chicken master

chicken master Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2009
    South carolina
    I think thats mareks deciese

6. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Get some Poly Vi Sol liquid baby vitamins WITHOUT IRON. You can get it at walmart or any pharmacy. Give one drop by mouth in morning and one drop at night. Keep the chick hydrated and make sure it can reach it's crumbles. If you have to use a dropper to give drops of water. Place the water on the top/side of it's beak so the water will slowly roll into it's mouth and it can swallow. Don't let the water get into the lungs.

7. Moa

Moa New Egg

Sep 8, 2009
    Thank you all. Little chick did infact pass away.[​IMG]

8. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    I'm so sorry. [​IMG]

sometimes there's just nothing we can do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by