16+ Naughty No-No Lav/Split/Blue Orp eggs

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by ChooksChick, Oct 27, 2010.

1. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    I generally sell Orps from a pen of Lavs and Splits, but have had a few Splash and Blue pullets growing up in there. I didn't think anyone other than Lav and Split was even near laying, and suddenly today I see the rotund Splash in the nest box. Great! I have a dozen eggs from the last 2 days and I'll get another bunch today. This will be at least 16 eggs. I'll separate after this. Gotta build fast!!

Right now, I only have a Black roo (Goliath, the Giant) and a Split roo (Fitzwilliam, the gentleman) lording over them, as the young Lav cockerels get up their nerve. I think the Lavs have been sneaking onto the girls a bit here and there (as Orp roos aren't all that dominant when it gets to preventing Betas) though I don't know if any of the Lav boys have succeeded.

Problem is this: The Splash hen laying gives the potential that her Blue offspring will be Split to Lav, and that's a horrific mix-up for anyone who isn't dead-on about their genetic understanding. It can cause tremendous confusion.

As a potential buyer, you have to understand what I mean- to understand how this could play out in a very confusing way.

My incubators are full. I don't want to throw these out.

I cast it out into the ether and let you folks make your choices. These are divine birds, as the improvement project goes along, but I can't guess the chances of getting a Lav are all that high right now. That's what this next generation is for!

I'll add better pics of everyone later.

Goliath
    [​IMG]

Fannie
    [​IMG]

Bundle of Lav
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  2. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    I'll update pics this evening- going out now!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by