16 new chickens in the Finger Lakes

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by plight79, Jan 10, 2010.

1. plight79

plight79 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2010
    Finger Lakes Region, NY
    Hello Everyone!

My name is Paula

I am new to the forum. I recently acquired 16 chickens from a family friend who had to move very suddenly. The woman kept and showed chickens geese and ducks. I am very interested in homesteading/sustainability, so I have always planned on having chickens. I hadn't planned on having them this soon, but I couldn't say no. [​IMG]

With the help of my father, my brother and several friends, I built an 8 X 8 chicken coop from many found items including an old treehouse. We ended up spending ~$80 building materials and coop supplies...not bad!

I am not very knowledgeable with regards to poultry, but I am trying to learn quickly. I am happy to find this website and forum. I am sure I will be referencing it quite a bit as I try to figure out how to best care for my chooks.

I have:

4 Salmon Favorelle hens
    2 Blue Laced Red Wyandotte hens
    3 Blue Laced Red Wyandotte roosters
    2 Lakenvelder roosters
    1 Plymouth Rock Barred hen
    1 Plymouth Rock Barred rooster
    1 Silver Laced Wyandotte Bantam hen
    1 Dark Brahma Rooster
    1 hen...not sure what she is (if you can identify in the pics, I would love to know what she is)

They are all pretty young...most were hatched in the late spring/ early summer. I am getting 1-3 eggs a day, but I am hoping that will increase once the weather warms up and the hens mature.

Here they are:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the unidentified hen...anyone know what she is?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what a BUNCH of GORGEOUS birds you have there!!!!!!!!!!

3. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    They are all VERY pretty!!!

4. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Can't help with identification, but welcome! I used to spend time at my uncle's cottage on Seneca Lake when I was a kid and had many a picnic on the shores of Cayuga. [​IMG]

5. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    [​IMG] Your unidentified hen is an Easter Egger.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  6. SunshineSteedFarm

SunshineSteedFarm Seramatching Equestrian

Aug 18, 2009
    Georgia
    [​IMG]
    Gorgeous birds! [​IMG]
    As for the breed of the hen, do you know what color legs she has? She looks a bit like an Easter Egger to me.

Welcome and good luck!
    --SSF

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  7. barred-rocks-rock

barred-rocks-rock Can't stick with a Title

Jul 5, 2009
    [​IMG]

She is an easter egger.

8. plight79

plight79 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2010
    Finger Lakes Region, NY
    Thanks Everyone!

I am SO excited that she might be an Easter Egg hen! I have just recently read about them and I decided that I needed at least two of them! I will check on the leg color and get back to you.

I used to spend time at my uncle's cottage on Seneca Lake when I was a kid and had many a picnic on the shores of Cayuga.

I live very near to Canandaigua lake...I used to work at a winery on Seneca Lake and I went to college at Cornell on Cayuga, so I am familiar with the beauty of all of these places! [​IMG]

9. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Quote:I live very near to Canandaigua lake...I used to work at a winery on Seneca Lake and I went to college at Cornell on Cayuga, so I am familiar with the beauty of all of these places! [​IMG]

It is truly beautiful. Unfortunately most of my family up there is gone now and I don't get to visit. But I have wonderful childhood memories!

10. erthymom2

erthymom2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    welcome to the byc group. your chickens look great and healthy - good luck with them :eek:}
    i live south of you in spencer ny area.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by