16 Rhode Island Red Chickens..

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by goatsintheopen, Jun 26, 2011.

1. goatsintheopen

goatsintheopen New Egg

Feb 5, 2011
    and only three eggs today! [​IMG]

Before I made the post, I went and checked out the "why aren't my chickens laying" thread, but none of the reasons given, applied to my hens. I had been getting all 16 eggs but then it dwindled a bit but only 3 today?

I checked the coop for snakes but didn't find one..the hens normally free range but were in all day..can't imagine a snake going in with the Rooster there, and all of the girls. My RRs are just under a year old. will be a year in August.

does this sound normal??[​IMG]

2. jcatblum

jcatblum Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    Cement, OK
    I don't know how hot it is where you are located. The temperatures have been 100-110 for several weeks. At first I was still getting at least 8 eggs from my hens & 5 from my guineas. Over the past week the hens have laid anywhere from 2-6 eggs & the guineas 1-4. The heat is stressing them so they ae not laying as well. Are you having a warm spell where you are located?

3. annep

annep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    My RIR"s have been doing ok with our heat, only 90 though...Look for hidden nests, in the strangest places, and if you can, check quite often...see how often they are going in to lay, make sure there's not one going in after to eat the eggs..just watch them really carefully..

4. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    My BO was laying like clockwork. The temps were high, she was suffering from the heat, but still laying. Now, though, she has not laid an egg in two days. I think the heat has finally gotten to her because nothing has changed.

5. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    110 to 114 here these days and mine have also slowed, but it is still a steady slow if that makes any since. Our girls always slow down some when it gets real hot....

6. goatsintheopen

goatsintheopen New Egg

Feb 5, 2011
    It HAS been warm! "No reason to be outside," warm! haha![​IMG] hopefully that is the reason. There were 4 in the nest boxes today..and its not too bad out. Hopefully the egg count will get back to where it was! [​IMG]

Appreciate the responses, thank you! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by