16 week Buff Orp Roo

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by babowman3, Dec 23, 2013.

1. babowman3

babowman3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello fellow chicken lovers!

I have a flock of 11. 4 Golden Buffs, 2 Barred Rocks, 2 Buff Orp hens, 2 EEs and a Buff Orp rooster. He's starting to become protective of his girls including me. I pet the hens and they don't mind (all are squatting now!) But he does this sideways shuffle thing toward me. I shoo him away and just recently started pinning him to the ground like I've read before. He flops around for a few seconds then I slowly let my hands off and he stays on the ground for about 10 sec, then gets up and does it again! Am I gonna have to fry him up? I got a BO roo because everything I read said they are the nicer roosters. This is him with some of his girlfriends. [​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Keep subordinating him, and hopefully he will get the message. On problem cockerels I have also scooped them up in a short handled fishing net and carried them around. Some get the message. Others become fryers if young enough or crock potted if older. Good luck, and keep letting him know that you are dominant. As he gets older, he may mellow out.

3. babowman3

Thanks for the reply! I just went out again and he wanted to get huffy but never came near me. Hopefully it's working! I'm not one to eat the chickens, they are my pets. So fingers crossed! The fishing net is a great idea too! :)

4. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    The scary part is that he is a little young to be acting up, but you may or may not know how 'teenagers' can be. Sometimes they get their acts together.

1 person likes this.
  5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    The minute you see he's even thinking about dropping a wing, or shuffling sideways, or any behaviors like that, charge him. Just chase him a few steps, enough he runs away from you. Doesn't have to be all over the place, just enough he's moving away from you. Don't wait until he actually does it, just when you can tell he's thinking of it. Or, just chase him a minute just because. Stomp your feet and holler and wave your arms to scare him some. Trust me, he won't "be afraid" of you, he'll be respectful. He'll still come up for treats, etc, he just won't be a pet like your hens are, and that's ok. Roosters don't make good pets. But they can be respectful of people and yield to you.

1 person likes this.
  6. flockanuts

flockanuts Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a Partridge Plymouth Rock Roo that has been feeling his oats. Two different times, after his trying to charge me, I grabbed a white hand towel and chased his butt all over two acres!!!!! A couple of times I have stomped my feet and yelled. He is doing pretty good now. He has also started taking very good care of his 12 girls. Unfortunately, I have finally figured out why chickens need saddles.... [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. babowman3

Thanks for the replys! He's gotten better. I chase him or pin him down every chance I get. And they are 19 weeks not 17. Eggs soon!!!

8. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Good update on the attitude adjustment.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by