1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

16 week Buff Orpington Cockerel or Pullet???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by swmalone, Jun 30, 2011.

1. swmalone

swmalone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Northern Utah
    Ok, we are worried that our princess buttercup may become prince buttercup. This has been our favorite chicken but unfortunately where we live if it turns out to be a male we will have to relocate him. The reason I'm asking is we have two other chickens (black australorp and black sex link) all the same age and their combs and waddles are no where near as developed. Any and all help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

/Volumes/XACTI /DCIM/100SANYO/SANY0428.JPG

[img]/Volumes/XACTI /DCIM/100SANYO/SANY0430.JPG

I hope the pictures work. I am not sure I put them in properly. If not if someone could advise on that as well I would appreciate it.

2. swmalone

Jun 30, 2011
    Northern Utah
    Well looks like the pictures didn't work. I will keep trying to figure that out.

3. swmalone

Jun 30, 2011
    Northern Utah
    Okay I figured it out. Please let me know if you would like additional pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

How old? They look like pullets to me.

5. swmalone

Jun 30, 2011
    Northern Utah
    All 3 are 16 weeks old but only the orpington has such a developed comb and waddle. I tried to tell by saddle feathers and to me those appear to be the feathers of a pullet. In the second picture you can kinda see the head of one of the others and the comb and waddle are so much smaller and lighter in color that is what has me questioning.

Thanks.

6. afj6710

afj6710 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    I'm not sure but did want to say that my BO roo, who is only 12 wks, has a larger comb than that and already looks very roo-ish.

7. swmalone

Jun 30, 2011
    Northern Utah
    So far you guys are making me feel a lot better. My wife will be heart broken if princess buttercup turns into prince. The comb and waddle have only been that large and bright for about a week or so.

8. Schwartzfarmnc

Schwartzfarmnc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    West Jefferson
    [​IMG]

I'd say roo, this is a pic of my 15 week old for comparison.

9. rilly10

rilly10 Clover Field Farm

May 18, 2010
    Pottstown, PA
    Deff a pullet! She should be laying soon too! [​IMG]

ETA: There are no saddle feathers, or hackle feathers. That is a POL (point of lay) comb and waddles for a hen! The little cockerel in the other post, you can see his saddle feathers coming in and looks boyish to me.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  10. swmalone

Jun 30, 2011
    Northern Utah
    Uh oh I'm starting to get mixed results. I would say that buttercup looked like your pullet at about 11 or 12 weeks of age. All of my chickens appear quite a bit more developed than the picture above, granted they are 3 different breeds and 16 weeks old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by