16 Week Chick Lethargic

FluffyButters

Hatching
Feb 28, 2020
Hey all. New here and I have read so much & have just confused myself, that I just felt I needed to create an account and just reach out with my specifics.

I naturally hatched 13 chicks 16 weeks ago. 2 have died & the 3rd is trying me. I noticed her acting lethargic (like my other 2 did) this past Saturday, so i brought her in the house to monitor her. I researched and thought maybe she had a sour crop, so I massaged it and I feel as if everything may have passed through that should have. I did start to treat her water with Corrid (just in case) and gave her only grit to eat on for 2 days. Her waddles were very pale to begin with and once I felt as if she was turning a corner, her waddles perked back up and were pinkish again (3rd or 4th day in the sick ward). But then I noticed her not eating or drinking unless I was in there with her, shaking her food, holding her water up to her, etc. I have since switched her water to pedialyte and corrid and have been giving her normal layer feed. She still only eats and drinks when directed to do so and her waddles are pale again. She does not have any signs of mites or lice, no lesions, no injuries. Just tired, eyes closed most of the time and not eating well. Her poo is a greenish color with normal urates but does seem just a tad mucousy. I will attach a pic of her poo. Please help. I am very attached to my babies. I have 7, 1 year old Hens and a year old Roo as well.

Attachments

• Chicken Poo.jpg
    Chicken Poo.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 14
16 weeks ago. 2 have died & the 3rd is trying me. I noticed her acting lethargic (like my other 2 did) this past Saturday, so i brought her in the house to monitor her. I researched and thought maybe she had a sour crop, so I massaged it and I feel as if everything may have passed through that should have. I did start to treat her water with Corrid (just in case) and gave her only grit to eat on for 2 days. Her waddles were very pale to begin with and once I felt as if she was turning a corner, her waddles perked back up and were pinkish again (3rd or 4th day in the sick ward). But then I noticed her not eating or drinking unless I was in there with her, shaking her food, holding her water up to her, etc. I have since switched her water to pedialyte and corrid and have been giving her normal layer feed. She still only eats and drinks when directed to do so and her waddles are pale again.
Can you post some photos of her too?
What breed is she?
Where are you located in the world?

How long has she been eating layer feed?
Is her crop empty in the morning before she eats/drinks?

I would not mix the pedialyte with the Corid. Corid water should be all she's drinking if you are treating for Coccidiosis. I also would not give any other supplemental vitamins/electrolytes during treatment. What dosage of Corid are you giving? I would use the severe outbreak dose.

Has she come into lay yet? Have you checked just to make sure she's not having a problem with a soft shelled egg?

The others that died - how long ago was that?
1582917092767.png

She is a true barnyard chick. She's a mutt. LOL. I have Golden Comets & Barred Rocks & an Australorp Roo. She is easily 1/2 the size of the rest of the chicks hatched with her.

I live in Culleoka TN. It is currently 20-60's depending on the time of day. We experience every season, most days. LOL

She has been on layer for not quite 2 weeks. Yes, her crop is empty in the a.m.

She is not laying. I have 1 of the crew that has laid 1 itty bitty tiny egg early last week, but I am unsure which one laid. I need a camera in my coop, but then I would not get any work done, for watching the feed ALL day long. Although, I am uncertain what to look for if she were to be egg bound or trying to lay a soft shell. I had not thought of that, bc I didn't really think it was an issue just yet.

I am using the tiniest of dose of Corrid, as I am only putting a small amount of water in her waterer, so its easier for me to monitor what her intact is.

I am attaching a pic of her.

Added...she is also puffed up too.

Thanks

Attachments

• My Chick.jpg
    My Chick.jpg
    456.6 KB · Views: 3
My first 1 died the 1st week of January and the 2nd, January 7. I treated all of their water, as directed, with Corrid when that happened.

I am using the tiniest of dose of Corrid, as I am only putting a small amount of water in her waterer, so its easier for me to monitor what her intact is.
I would use the outbreak dosage of Corid. You can mix up a whole gallon or 1/2 gallon then refrigerate it. Make sure she's drinking well.
Her being puffed up like that I would be tempted to direct oral dose her for 3 days as well.
Do you have liquid Corid? The direct oral dose is .10ml per pound of weight once daily. This is in addition to her drinking her normal fill of Corid water.

I'm sure you have her inside or where she can be warm, but if not, I would keep her warm too.

I will start her on the outbreak dose this evening when i get in. I do have the liquid & I will give her an oral dose as well. Yes, she is in the house, with a heater to keep her good and warm.

Thank you so much for your feedback.

She is still hanging on. I did notice a tiny worm in her poo Friday evening, so I began treatment for that as well. I check all of her droppings, & only 1 showed signs of worms. Her poo is mostly back to normal now. Much better consistency and normal chicken poo color as well. She is eating and drinking better but still just stands and sleeps A LOT. Her eyes seem to be open more than before, so I am going to take that as progress. I will keep her in the house and warm until I see a significant improvement. Again, thanks all for your advice. :)

She is still hanging on. I did notice a tiny worm in her poo Friday evening, so I began treatment for that as well. I check all of her droppings, & only 1 showed signs of worms. Her poo is mostly back to normal now. Much better consistency and normal chicken poo color as well. She is eating and drinking better but still just stands and sleeps A LOT. Her eyes seem to be open more than before, so I am going to take that as progress. I will keep her in the house and warm until I see a significant improvement. Again, thanks all for your advice. :)
What did you use for worm treatment?

Back
Top Bottom