16 week CornishX - How to Cook?

fasbendera

Songster
10 Years
Jan 30, 2009
Midwest
DH thought it would be interesting to let one of our CornishX meaties live beyond the 8-10 weeks and see how big it got. I butchered her today (16weeks) and she dressed out at 9lbs.

She spent 75% of her life free range and has been eating layer pellets. Their feeder is always full but she follows the hens outside. This is our fourth year so I am used to cooking with our CornishX just not one this old or big.

How should we cook her? Roast whole? How long and what temp.

Cut up and barbque?

Soup/Chicken & dumplings.

Really would like help we are cooking tomorrow. I tried recipes section and no help.

I let a bunch of mine go big, last year and I just treated them like small turkeys. Some I roasted, some I jointed and fried, some I ground up (or used wings and breasts and ground legs and thighs). They'll still be really tender as long as you age them a few days in the fridge. Karla p.s. If you ever do this again, at about 16 weeks she'll start laying eggs. BIG eggs. Mine almost all laid double yolks, and I kept some of them almost a year before processing. They were laying when my eggers were molting, so it worked well.

Thank You so much for replying. Will one day in the fridge be enough? Yeah I found the formed yolks inside. I really didn't know how long we could keep her I was afraid she might go lame or have a heart attack. I couldn't limit feed since she was the only meatie.

Back
Top Bottom