16 week old Barred Rock

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by lilbirdee, Jun 10, 2009.

1. lilbirdee

lilbirdee Songster

Mar 14, 2009
    Ridgefield, WA
    I've always assumed that my 16 week old BR is a pullet. She has the right coloring for a pullet and no pointed saddle feathers, but her comb and wattles are good sized and very red now, especially compared to my other girls (of different breeds) her age. Is this just typical for a BR?
    Can anyone show me photos of 16 week old pullets and cockerels so I can see the difference?
    This is her in case you want to give opinions.

[​IMG]

2. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Songster

Feb 1, 2009
    Lexington, KY
    Did they just turn red recently, or have they been turning red for a while? If they just turned red, it's possible she's just getting ready to lay.

3. Chick_a_dee

Chick_a_dee Songster

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    You know, to be honest with you, a lot of people would say she is a he... but my girls who are red layers, ... RIR X Col. Rock had combs much like that at 16 weeks.

4. lilbirdee

lilbirdee Songster

Mar 14, 2009
    Ridgefield, WA
    I did think of that. It seems like they have turned redder lately. But maybe not. It's mostly the size that has me questioning.

5. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Songster

Feb 1, 2009
    Lexington, KY
    I'm thinking a pullet. Here's a picture of my rooster at or before 16 weeks... Hold on, I'll find out his exact age in that picture.

[​IMG]

6. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I don't see any hackle or sickle feathers like a roo would have, so I think she is a pullet. Her comb and wattles are pretty big for that age, but nothing else seems to say roo. Here is my BR at about 16 or 17 wks right when she started to lay:

[​IMG]

7. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Songster

Feb 1, 2009
    Lexington, KY
    Yep, that pic was taken at 15.5 weeks, and his comb looks much redder than your pullets. I say you have a pullet, most definitely!

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    It's probably a girl.... oh, and she is QUALITY... that barring is nice.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2009
  9. elusiveracer

elusiveracer In the Brooder

Feb 25, 2009
    Urban, MA
    I'm not a pro or anything but she looks to have small and dark feet so pullet. [​IMG]

10. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Pullet, and a lovely one. Mine are the same age, and the roo has had roo feathers for about a month now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: