1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

16-week-old Barred Rocks - Gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Hat Lady, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Hat Lady

Hat Lady New Egg

May 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Our chicks are now about 16 weeks old. All four are barred rocks. The one in the front of the top picture might be a barred rock mixed with a copper maran. (The beak and legs are more yellow than the other three.) I just wanted to double check with y'all that all four are in fact pullets. Our last batch were all roos, so I don't want any surprises here. Thanks for the input. You guys are the best!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

They look like girls, if their ages are correct. The one sitting in the foreground is most likely a BR cross, not a pure BR. The barring is almost lacing on the chest area so I'm sure that's a cross, as you mentioned might be possible (I said that before I re-read your post and you said it may be a cross, so yep, it is). I have had quite a few of those. It's subtle, but you learn with experience.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:x2

4. Hat Lady

Hat Lady New Egg

May 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Thank you both very much. Can you guess how close to laying they might be? I can't wait for that first egg!

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Looks like a few weeks yet.

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    The one in the back right of the first pic will be your first layer. The others have a ways to go.

7. bella1210

bella1210 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    ct
    i think they are all hens

8. sugarjax06

sugarjax06 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2010
    Lancaster, CA
    pullets [​IMG]

9. WildflowerJLH

WildflowerJLH Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Curious how you can tell? Is it comb/wattle development?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by