16 week old chicken broken leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lindaguilfoose, Jan 27, 2015.

1. lindaguilfoose

lindaguilfoose Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2014
    [​IMG]At first she was trying to stand on it. now she just lays there. I put her in a smaller box to limit the movement. The right leg her toes are curled under and she won't straighten them The other leg she keeps behind her. I have been doing warm water therapy (baths with range of motion) but she is still the same ... it has been 2 weeks going on 3
    what to do!??

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  2. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    A picture would help.

Are you sure it's broken? Is there swelling? Bruising? Is she walking at all? Limping?

Is she able to pull the leg under her?

A leg sticking straight out behind can be a sign of Marek's. If the leg truly is broken, you might be able to splint it and put her in a hammock to allow the bone to mend (if it hasn't already after two or three weeks, as you said).

How do her pupils look?

Any other info that you can provide will help!

MrsB

3. lindaguilfoose

May 12, 2014
    one leg out behind, pupils appear regular,round, she is eating and drinking, no walking one leg forward, one leg back at first she was trying to stand now not..iris brown[​IMG][​IMG]
    she looks wet she she just had a bath and a blow dry
    Her foot on the right is curled under eating drinking pooping just not trying to stand no bruising, no protrusion. No one else sick..

4. lindaguilfoose

May 12, 2014
    anyone???

5. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    I would try to make a type of sling if you can. I used a cardboard box and a towel once for a weak hen. I cut two slits in it so the legs easily fit and let her rest a while. Could you try that and maybe gently move her legs?

Is it definitely broken? Can you see a break? If so maybe you could make a splint.

6. BayBay Peepers

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    What are you feeding her?

7. lindaguilfoose

May 12, 2014
    I can’t see a break and I am feeding her baby feed as well as grapes, and hard cooked eggs and I tried crumbled shell and oyster shell… she is eating good… and just seemingly in pain if I mess with her, if I leave her alone she seems fine…except for the obvious..

8. BayBay Peepers

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Any chance of going to a vet? I understand if that's not an option.

I do think at this point a little sling would be a good idea. She can't lay like that forever. She needs to blood to get moving if possible.

9. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    x2

MrsB

10. lindaguilfoose

May 12, 2014
    I made a sling, it was a good idea.. at least she is upright! :) just wondering how long to give her to recover?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by