16 week old cockeral crows at night

WisconsinChickenWhisperer

Songster
9 Years
Jul 25, 2010
Webster, Wisconsin
Is this typical of a young one? The other night I got home from a night of designated driving-2 a.m. and he was crowing. I blamed it on the fact that my new neighbors hound was barking and carrying on (which is a whole other subject) and once the dog calmed down, so did the roo. I think. I went in and went to bed, so really, who knows if he continued to be quiet. Last night my DD and I got back from the gym, and we were in the yard with my dogs-it was 10 p.m.-and the roo started to crow in the coop. Now, granted, the moon was shining brightly right in the window of the coop door, but does this mean I'm going to have to cover my windows in the evening to keep him quiet? And what about my pullets who will be ready to lay pretty soon? If they don't get enough uninterrupted sleep at night, will that delay laying?

I guess my main question is: will he outgrow this behavior? I live in town, with no ordinance against having a roo. At the moment, everyone has their windows closed up and the heat on, so you can barely hear him in the house, but come spring/summer, you'll be able to hear him loud and clear and I sure don't want him crowing all night long so the neighbors complain and then I have to get rid of him.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

I have one that is about 17 months old, and I occasionally hear him at 3:30 in the morning, crowing his darn-fool head off...

Last edited:
Firstly it's natural for him to start crowing now and all young roosters do it - even those old roosters also sometimes crow in the middle of the night. Your girls should be fine and laying will still be on schedule. I guess he had a competition with your neighbors dog to see who could make the most noise? I hope all goes well.

Miss Floppy

My 16 week old Blue Andalusian (see Avitar) was a noisy boy. If we had folks over and were sitting outside and someone laughed loudly after the chickens went to bed he would crow. He would crow all day long. He would sometimes crow in the middle of the night. It didn't take much to get him started. My husband couldn't bear it and the handsome rooster went to freezer camp. Neighborly relations are important and so is getting your sleep.

Don't know what breed you have, but some are know for being more vocal than others. We didn't give ours a chance to mellow with age. So far our BR, EE, and SF roos are all much mellower and much quieter. I think it really depends on the breed and the individual personality of the roo.

Hello--could it be that he hears your car and is crowing because he knows you're home? My rooster will crow any time of the day if he's locked in the coop, and he hears my voice, or my car.

I think they're a little bit like dogs. My dog will bark when my car pulls up. The rooster will crow when I pull up the drive. (Only if he's locked in the coop though.)

Quote:
You know, I never thought of that! I know that they all relate my coming home to getting treats as I cook at one of my jobs and I always have leftover vegies, fruits, and breads to take out to them when I get home. He was crowing when I pulled in the driveway today, but then, the dog was barking as well so it's hard to tell. I just never noticed him doing it before the dog showed up.........maybe I've been sleeping through it since he started crowing (a couple of weeks ago) and now since I wake up when the dog is making a racket, I also hear the roo.........hmmmmm. I can tell you that the dog barks whether or not my roo is crowing. Well, so far I haven't heard any complaints, and I guess I'll cross that bridge when/if it gets here. I had a really nice Black Cochin bantam roo for a couple of months ( until I realized that my roo was a boy and not a girl) and no one ever complained, but to my knowledge he didn't crow during the night. BTW, my current roo is a beautiful standard Light Brahma.

Thanks for the replies!

Mine crows too when we pull in the driveway! It his announcement that my family is here - where are my treats! He announces he is up in the morning, whenever we arrive home, and that he is going to bed at night, LOL!

Your roo is still young so I am sure that he will learn when and when not to crow, although, some just like to do it alllllll the time!

Quote:
Yep, my adult rooster will crow when a car pulls up; no matter what time it is. One of my cockerels, the CX named Ollie, will crow every time he hears my DH cough.
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom