16 week old Pullet or Roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mckay13, Aug 26, 2013.

1. mckay13

mckay13 New Egg

Aug 26, 2013
    New to raising chickens. I purchased day old chicks from MPC. They are now 16 weeks old. I believed they were all pullets until week 14 when I noticed one Rhode Island Red with a pronounced wattle and comb. It looks like it popped over night. The other RIR just started to develop her wattle and comb week 16, so I believe she is a pullet. I can't see any other differences. Her legs are a bit thicker. Feathers the same. Can they develop at different rates? or is she a Roo? When they were chicks they both had the line down the head.
    Thanks
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    This one is tricky. I'm going to say pullet because I would expect to see more saddle feathers near the base of her tail at 16 weeks of age. And at 16 weeks I'd expect to hear crowing.

To answer your question about development, yes pullets will develop differently. You'll see some with thick legs while others appear to have less 'bone'.

3. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    I say pullet

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio

5. AvianEgo

AvianEgo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    Minnesota
    Its a pullet who may surprise you with an egg sooner than later. they don't get their pronounced waddles and Combs until they start to lay usually. They also go from pale Combs to red ones

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Pullet.

7. mckay13

mckay13 New Egg

Aug 26, 2013
    Thanks everyone for responding so quickly. You made my morning. She was developing so quickly we thought she might be a roo.

8. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Definitely a girl, and eggs any day!

9. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

PS Your dog: SUPER CUTE!

10. mckay13

mckay13 New Egg

Aug 26, 2013
    aww, thanks. That is Lucy. She is an English Springer Spaniel. Yes, a BIRD dog. She has a gentle but sometimes crazy personality. It was their first time they were face to face. I let the chicken free range that day. Both loved it. I have 2 other ESS that will need to meet the girls outside to run. Not sure that will go as well. Taking it slow.
    Can't believe we could get eggs so soon. I better open up the nesting boxes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by