16 week old pullets unbelievably terrified of me and their cockerel.

warmth

Chirping
Feb 6, 2021
Contra Costa County, CA
Hey there, I just want some advice on how to befriend my birds a bit.

I have four 16 week old Buff Orpingtons that are scared of their own shadow. They go absolutely ballistic if I try and approach them and they even are super skittish with their cockerel.

They've been through predator attacks but were just as skittish beforehand, so I don't think it's that.

How do I bond with them? Offering treats doesn't work, they won't come within 10 ft of me.

Their cockerel is just fine, albeit a bit nippy if he's not in the mood to be pet. He likes treats and comes when called. I can typically pick him up without much fuss and he'll sit on my shoulder now and again.

Did you raise them from chikcs or get them when they were older? I would just be present. Do things around the run or coop. Be close but don't pu them any mind. Eventually they'll become more comfortable.

Sit in their run and read a book for a while. No sudden movements and do not try and engage them. Just let them get more accustomed to you being there. When you leave, put a few treats around the area where you were sitting. Repeat for a few days.

Once the pullets are not freaking out as much, when you go in the coop, try putting some treats down around where you are sitting. Repeat for a few days. Then try treats in your hand, while sitting quietly.

Last edited:
Same thing I said on another post : It would be best if you start playing with them as a day-old chick, but since they're already weeks older than that, I suggest to keep them beside as long as you can. Also let them watch you adding food and water for them. Take them and put them on your arm and take them on a walk around your house. Pet them softly and talk to them quietly. Do NEVER shout in front of them. Give them treats, take them outside to play or get them toys. You could also dig up 5+ worms and get some soften dirt that can be easily dug out and put them a small box. Make sure your chick can find the worms very easily, this will entertain them very much. Peanut, my sister's chick, was super-duper excited when she found her first worm in our garden.

Sit in the coop with them in a shaded area but not near their food or water, dont make sudden movements. This sounds dumb but try to not look them directly in the eyes, they know that predators have eyes facing the front and not the side, whatever you do dont shout or anything, this will make them TERRIFIED of you than they ever have been before.

when I make this Owa Owa sound around my chickens it makes thme run like crazy even though its not a sound a coyote or hawk makes, it just makes them scared, talk calmly and quietly around them

Fill up their food and water where they can see you doing it, as they will begin to learn that when they see you something good will be happening and not something bad

I can make chicken noises as weird as it sounds and I can make sounds of a mother hen cooing to her chicks and when I do that all my chickens and roosters look at me and all the chicks run to me and some lay down next to them others just walk around me but i dont know how to explain how to make chicken noises

Back
Top Bottom