16 week old Silver Spangled Hamburg - pullet or cockerel?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by salthegal, Sep 16, 2012.

1. salthegal

salthegal New Egg

Sep 16, 2012
    I hope someone can help me decide what sex my 16 week old SSHamburg is. I hatched him/her in an incubator and also a gold-pencilled Hamburg who is obviously a rooster, but this one I just can't decide! The hackle feathers aren't obvious, the saddle feathers are quite long and the comb and wattles are large. His/her nature is very gentle and friendly. Does anyone have an opinion? Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. ChickenExtreme

ChickenExtreme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2012
    Roo

3. windzbreezy

windzbreezy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2012
    definitely a pullet, u can see what a roo looks like on my page. mine was hatched in april. mine is darker and at the tip of the tail feathers are black, his rose comb is huge and he does not stop crowing. also i do not see a lump for a spur on the inner ankle. you got a girl. where did you get the egg?

4. mommto3kiddos

mommto3kiddos Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Pullet!! She is beautiful!

5. salthegal

salthegal New Egg

Sep 16, 2012
    Hi Windzbreezy
    Thanks for your reply. I bought a trio of SS Hamburgs at our local show in Easter this year in Sydney Australia where I live and collected the fertilized eggs. It was my first time trying to hatch with an incubator and I think I got the humidity level too high so only 4 out of 25 eggs hatched. I got one gold-pencilled Hamburg who is definitely a rooster, with obvious hackle feathers and long curved feathers in the tail, but the silver spangled one isn't showing obvious signs of being one or the other. I really want it to be a hen as she/he is so friendly and flies up onto my shoulder whenever I go into the chook area. Such a pretty chicken too! If it's a roo it will have to be boarded at my friend's farm as I live in the suburbs. I do hope you and Mummto3kiddos are both right!! :)

6. ChickenExtreme

Jun 25, 2012
    Please keep us updated, when he starts crowing [​IMG]

7. salthegal

salthegal New Egg

Sep 16, 2012
    Really? What makes you sure it's a roo? I'll be very disappointed but better to know now if it is.

8. allmychickens

allmychickens Just'a small town girl

Aug 4, 2011
    Washington
    rooster, i see hackle and saddle feathers

9. ChickenExtreme

Jun 25, 2012
    Don't take my word on it, wait till he crows, lol
    Thanks

10. salthegal

salthegal New Egg

Sep 16, 2012
    [​IMG]
    For those who were helping me try to decide if this chicken was male or female... he crowed at about 22 weeks :( He's a beautiful fella though! Thanks for everyone's opinion but ChickenExtreme and allmychickens were right! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by