1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

16 week old trying to lay first egg-coop is HOT!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by farmerinKC, Aug 2, 2011.

1. farmerinKC

farmerinKC Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Kansas City, Missouri
    My Golden Comets will be 16 weeks old tomorrow and Fawkes has successfully laid two eggs-one yesterday and one today. This afternoon Saffron keeps going into one of the nest boxes and is trying to lay-but it is 112 degrees in the coop. I'm doing everything I can to make it cooler-but nothing is working. Should I just close the pop door so they can't go in until this evening? I don't know what to do since they have just started laying. She is so hot sitting in there. I did take her out and held her in a cool tub of water to cool her down-but I can't stay outside all day watching her-it's too hot for me! [​IMG]

So my question is---Should I close the coop until evening?

I want eggs-but I don't want any one of my girls to die trying to lay one. [​IMG]

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    She'll get out if she is too hot. Leave the door open so they can come and go as they please.

3. farmerinKC

farmerinKC Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Thanks for your reply, Laree. I was worried her egg laying urge would over-ride her common sense.

4. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Nah, chickens are dumb. But if my bajillion broodies can CO-brood a nest in 117 degree weather with 40-80% humidity, your girl should be ok. (They aren't even sitting on the eggs- ro regulate the temp the eggs are half under the chickens. ALL of the eggs)

Just keep an eye on her.

5. omilona

omilona Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    My 8 girls are 17-20 weeks. Not an egg in sight. Deep sigh. The SLW 2 seem closest to laying based on their combs and the fact that they are hanging out in the nest boxes, even though they are younger than the EE/Ameraucanas. The Cuckoo marans are now bigger than their flockmates, though they are 3 weeks younger.

6. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    Quote:x2.

Plus if you could get a little shade on the coop might help with the temp. Tarp, Plywood, anything to keep sun directly off the coop, especially if you have external next boxes.

7. Bravo

Bravo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    CA
    On hot days and nights I freeze gallon water jugs and place them in the coop. It really makes a difference in the temp. I also have my coop situated under a large tree so it gets lots of shade.

Hope you get your first egg from her soon!!

I am totally envious that they are only 16 weeks and laying! Mine are all free loaders LOL!

8. NotSuperWoman

NotSuperWoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    My Humble Manor
    Quote:I was about to write the same thing, but you beat me to it. This advice was given to by a lady on a couponing forum I belong to!

And I feel my chickens are free loaders too! LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by