16 week old with mouth-breathing, white diarrhea

jodi515

In the Brooder
Jul 20, 2020
Ruby (golden comet) is 16 weeks old today. On Friday I noticed her staying in the coop more when everyone else was outside in the run. I got excited because I thought she might be checking out the nesting boxes and planning to lay her first egg. When I went out to shut them in for the night, everyone was roosted in their normal spots, but she was laying on the floor. I put her up on the roost and she laid down and stayed there.
Saturday, much of the same, not eating or drinking as much though, but she did eat some tomatoes I gave them as treats. Again, when I went to put them to bed, she was on the floor in the corner. And I noticed her panting. It has been hot, but they have had shade, cold water, tall grass that they like to lay in in the shade. I see them panting sometimes. But this wasn't the same, for one it was cooler in the evening, and it was more like mouth-breathing. I left her there since she seemed content.
Sunday morning when I opened their door, everyone came out except her. She was inside and laying down and doing the mouth breathing and her breathing in general seems labored even when she doesn't have her mouth open. I took her inside the house and let her rest. She was laying on a towel and stood up to poop, and it was white liquid diarrhea with brown bits. Not yellow, not watery, no blood. I checked her vent and it looked normal - fleshy color, no blood or drainage. But she had the white liquid on her feathers beneath her vent. Abdomen feels full and soft. I do not feel anything that feels like an egg. I did not inspect her vent internally, as I have never done that and I'm afraid of hurting her.
So to summarize: mouth-breathing but no coughing, gagging, sneezing, no drainage from nose or eyes or mouth; white liquid diarrhea, lethargy. She drinks when I put water up to her beak. But has not eaten since Saturday evening. She just lays down, doesn't walk around, sleeps, breathes heavily. Mouth-breathing seems to be less today, but still doing it.
Even prior to this, I had been treating the flock with Corid since I saw some runny but normal brown, green poops in the run.
I started giving her PolyViSol in her water when I brought her in yesterday.
Found a vet that sees chickens. Can do that this evening if I can get off work in time.
Wow, that was long. Sorry!

You've given us a lot of very good information, better than most new posters do. Too much info is better than, "why is my hen acting sick?" which is pretty much what we usually get.

A photo of this poop would be very helpful. We need to know if this swelling of the abdomen is the area behind her legs or up higher on her chest. Is it her crop that is full and soft? Or is her belly behind her legs full and soft?

Has she passed any cecal poop lately? Does she have access to grit? Is there any fluid seeping out of her beak, especially when you handle her?

Ruby (golden comet) is 16 weeks old today. On Friday I noticed her staying in the coop more when everyone else was outside in the run. I got excited because I thought she might be checking out the nesting boxes and planning to lay her first egg. When I went out to shut them in for the night, everyone was roosted in their normal spots, but she was laying on the floor. I put her up on the roost and she laid down and stayed there.
Saturday, much of the same, not eating or drinking as much though, but she did eat some tomatoes I gave them as treats. Again, when I went to put them to bed, she was on the floor in the corner. And I noticed her panting. It has been hot, but they have had shade, cold water, tall grass that they like to lay in in the shade. I see them panting sometimes. But this wasn't the same, for one it was cooler in the evening, and it was more like mouth-breathing. I left her there since she seemed content.
Sunday morning when I opened their door, everyone came out except her. She was inside and laying down and doing the mouth breathing and her breathing in general seems labored even when she doesn't have her mouth open. I took her inside the house and let her rest. She was laying on a towel and stood up to poop, and it was white liquid diarrhea with brown bits. Not yellow, not watery, no blood. I checked her vent and it looked normal - fleshy color, no blood or drainage. But she had the white liquid on her feathers beneath her vent. Abdomen feels full and soft. I do not feel anything that feels like an egg. I did not inspect her vent internally, as I have never done that and I'm afraid of hurting her.
So to summarize: mouth-breathing but no coughing, gagging, sneezing, no drainage from nose or eyes or mouth; white liquid diarrhea, lethargy. She drinks when I put water up to her beak. But has not eaten since Saturday evening. She just lays down, doesn't walk around, sleeps, breathes heavily. Mouth-breathing seems to be less today, but still doing it.
Even prior to this, I had been treating the flock with Corid since I saw some runny but normal brown, green poops in the run.
I started giving her PolyViSol in her water when I brought her in yesterday.
Found a vet that sees chickens. Can do that this evening if I can get off work in time.
Wow, that was long. Sorry!
parasite Google for chicken parasites

I don't have a photo of the poop unfortunately. I did "inspect" it. It was like thin white paint with greenish brown gel-like clumps. More of the white substance than anything. I didn't see any blood or anything that looked worm-ish. When it dries, it dries like paint.
The soft part between her legs felt full and soft. She doesn't seem to mind when I palpate the area. But since I have never felt hers before, I don't have anything to compare it to. I felt up toward the vent and felt nothing that seemed abnormal *but I'm a human nurse, not a chicken nurse :)
Her crop feels empty. No gas or gurgly sounds that I could hear.
I do not know what cecal poop is. I have only heard this term since I have been researching what may be going on with her.
Whole flock always have access to grit.
Nothing seeping out of her beak. Or eyes or nose.
She hasn't eaten anything since I fed her some tomatoes Saturday evening. I have tried crumble mush, cat food, mealworms. She doesn't show any interest in it. Won't even smell it.

I have two chickens in the living room nursery at this time. The other has what I believe is wry neck. She is contorted like she needs an exorcism, hasn't stood up in days. She stopped eating and drinking yesterday so I am afraid she may have to be culled. I believe these two illnesses to be unrelated since they have nothing in common.

This is my second flock. 10 pullets all born March 30.

You may be dealing with a reproductive infection or cancer. Have the vet screen her for tumors. It could be an infection. If you can afford some tests, take one of her poop samples with you so the vet can run a fecal float for parasites and then a gram stain for bacteria. Those tests will reveal any worms or turn up an infection. The vet can then provide the proper meds.

Look into her throat if you can. If there are gape worms, you might see them wiggling there. But usually gape worms cause wheezing and whistling as a chicken struggles to breathe.

The green chunks in the white runny poop signals she's starving. You might ask the vet for a tube feeding kit and to show you the technique. It's important, if you hope to treat this hen, that she be kept nourished with food so as to give her strength to fight off whatever it is that's making her sick.

I have an appt for her this afternoon. Hopefully I will be able to take a sample with me.
Poor Ruby. She clucks, but I have not heard her make any other sounds.
I just hope it's something treatable and we can move on from this.
Being a Chicken Mama is stressful! My first flock was so easy and uneventful (other than all of them being eaten by a German Shepherd at age 2.)

Unfortunately, sickness can strike even the best cared for flock. You never know when a wild bird will drop a poisonous caterpillar right at the feet of naive chicks. Yep, that happened to my chicks.

It's through these sometimes tragic events that we learn the most, and that translates into being prepared next time to handle things better. Or, not. Objects dropping out of the sky are something that's pretty hard to control for.

I said I wasn't going to get new chicks after mine were abruptly taken from me.
But I couldn't resist. I love watching them and interacting with them. They really do give me joy.
So to have two of the ten new girls already having issues is breaking my heart.
I'll keep at it though.

Back
Top Bottom