16 wk old hen is weak and passing loose, bloody poop.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by luvastorm, Jul 26, 2013.

1. luvastorm

luvastorm New Egg

Jul 26, 2013
    16 wk old hen is weak and passing loose, bloody poop quite often. She is an Orphington (buff) and my sweetest chicken! My chickens were all acting healthy last night, including her, but this evening, I noticed that she didn't come running to me with the others. She stayed where she was and just walked slowly. She is lethargic and wants to sit down mostly. She is drinking but I haven't seen her eat. Her comb is bright red, her eyes are clear and her nose isn't running. She's not coughing, sneezing or having any other problems that I've noticed. They're coop is a chicken tractor that I move every few days. I've brought her inside and made her comfortable with food and water in a cleaned up dog crate so she is away from the others. Its nighttime, so I don't expect her to do much but sleep so I cant really tell how she's feeling. Am I right in thinking that this may be Cocci? I will treat all of them for that with Corid in the morning as soon as the feed store opens just in case. Is there anything else I should be considering?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Flock Master Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Yes it sounds like coccidiosis. Corid comes in powder (1/2 teaspoonful) or liquid (2 teaspoonsful) per gallon of water--treat all birds for 5 days. Change water daily and make sure chickens are drinking water or they won't get treatment. If you don't see improvement think about re-treating. They can benefit from vitamins in their water after treatment is finished (don't mix anything else in water during treatment, even vinegar.)

3. luvastorm

luvastorm New Egg

Jul 26, 2013
    I'm really worried she won't make it through the night. She seems uncomfortable. How quickly does the disease progress?

4. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    You should start treatment soon as possible it progresses pretty fast. How is she doing now? Update please did she make it through the night?

5. luvastorm

luvastorm New Egg

Jul 26, 2013
    Sorry for the delay in responding back. Yes, she made it through the night! She was very lethargic most of the night, then after putting multiple drops of medicated water (with Corid) on her beak, she started to perk up a little on Saturday around noon. Still not drinking or eating at that time, but managed to entice her to eat pieces of blueberries. Sunday, she was walking around a little, still too sick and weak to go back to the coop. I let her outside with the others for a while, but she just kept coming back to me and standing between my feet..so she spent a little more time inside. By Sunday evening, she was keeping up with the others better and acted like she felt better so she slept in the coop. They've all been on medicated water since Sat. around 10 am. None of the others got sick. Thank you so much for the excellent advice and the timely response! It is greatly appreciated!!!

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
  6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Flock Master Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It's great to hear she is doing better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by