Pics

jthornton

Free Ranging
6 Years
Aug 30, 2017
Poplar Bluff, MO
My Coop
My Coop
I have a 16' x 12' building next to the chicken yard that was supposed to be a garden shed... it's turned into a junk shed. It has 5 windows and a 36" man door, no insulation and full of junk at the moment. I'm open for ideas for layout. I want to turn this into my coop and use the one I made from photos on the internet for something else.

coop-mk2-01.jpg coop-mk2-02.jpg

JT

If your gonna make a poop board, I would put it along the back wall. This way, your roost will be away from any drafts. Are you gonna use your roll out nest box in there? Make gable vents for the front and back wall. This is gonna make a great coop and easier on
you to maintain it.
How many chickens will a 16 x 12 hold :lau:gigchicken math coming to a coop near you soon.:jumpy

That will make a nice shed coop!

In mine, I have the first 5’ walled off with wire so I walk in to the coop and have my storage area for food and stuff separate from the chickens. I put the nest boxes on that wall, it takes up some of my space but I use the top of it as a shelf.

I built a Dutch door in the wall, so I can open just the top to throw in some treats if I want.

I’m sure you have read the post on stacking that @aart has, follow the suggestions there and you can’t go wrong.

An automatic door to your secure chicken run will let you sleep in or come home late once in a while, the girls will learn how it works pretty quick.

I’d keep the coop you use now as a broody coop or isolation coop, you never know when it might come in handy.

Good luck with your new coop, I know with your ingenuity and skills it will come out great! And you’re going to love having a walk in coop!

If your gonna make a poop board, I would put it along the back wall. This way, your roost will be away from any drafts. Are you gonna use your roll out nest box in there? Make gable vents for the front and back wall. This is gonna make a great coop and easier on
you to maintain it.
How many chickens will a 16 x 12 hold :lau:gigchicken math coming to a coop near you soon.:jumpy
Looks like 38-48 birds can fit in here depending if you go for the minimum PSI of 4SF/bird or give em a bit more room with 5SF/bird. Dontcha just love chicken math?:lau:gig

Looks like 38-48 birds can fit in here depending if you go for the minimum PSI of 4SF/bird or give em a bit more room with 5SF/bird. Dontcha just love chicken math?:lau:gig

I came up with that 48 number too but the chicken yard would not support that many... chicken math is to get a few of Cinnamon Queens to add to the RIR's. I'm thinking 15 maximum... I have 9 pullets now.

JT

Back
Top Bottom