1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

1602 incubator w/turner set up, now what??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by trunkman, Dec 12, 2010.

1. trunkman

trunkman Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2009
    Rock Hill SC
    Ok, I've set up my new incubator this morning and it's plugged in and going. No eggs in it yet tho till it's stabilized. Now my questions are where do I put the thermometer and humidity gauge once the eggs are in it, there doesn't seem to be any room for anything other than eggs! [​IMG]

2. bigdawg

bigdawg AA Poultry

Jun 28, 2009
    middle tenn
    on top of the eggs

3. trunkman

Dec 26, 2009
    Rock Hill SC
    That makes sense, thanks, the humidity gauge too?

4. bigdawg

bigdawg AA Poultry

Jun 28, 2009
    middle tenn
    yes. you want the temp reading on top of the eggs. any lower and it will read cooler.

5. trunkman

Dec 26, 2009
    Rock Hill SC
    thank you Bigdawg!! [​IMG]

6. gavinandallison

gavinandallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Matthews, NC.
    Wont it move if you have an egg turner?

7. Baralak

Baralak Chillin' With My Peeps

it will move.. just gotta rig it some how so that you can see it from the top of the bator, and not be affected by the moving eggs.

YEEE HAWW

8. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Be aware that they really mean it when they say the 1602 needs to be in a room with stable temperatures. Make sure it put it somewhere that is draft free and has no temperature flux. I killed off a couple of hatches when things got too cold or too hot. [​IMG]

9. trunkman

Dec 26, 2009
    Rock Hill SC
    Quote:I might have a problem with temperature changes, I live in an old house and heat with wood, I might have to wait till spring for steadier temps.. [​IMG]

10. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    I hate to be a downer for sure. I just wanted you to be aware. Mine did great while I had the AC on holding temps steady. When I tried hatching with the AC off and the windows open (and the house temps fluctuating, but still comfy) I had miserable hatch rates. I think with the AC and heat on the house temps only fluctuate by a couple of degrees. The change without the AC and heat was maybe 5-6 degrees. It made a real difference.

Can you run some tests with your thermometer? I know mine shows lowest and highest temps. Can you place yours somewhere for 24 hours and see what happens to the temperatures? Using wood heat I would worry about it at night when the fire was banked.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by