16wk old pullets acting weird! Is this a sign that eggs are coming??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jason736, Jul 10, 2010.

1. jason736

jason736 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2010
    Waterford
    Hi,
    My girlfriend and I decided to try raising chickens this year. We have 26 red stars. They are 16weeks old on monday. They've been alot fun. Our concern is that about three days ago they started acting weird, I know chickens tend to do weird things. When we reach to pet them or pick them up they hunch down, cup they wings, and stick their butts in the air. After this they stand upright, puff up, and shake. They have also been very vocal in a tone we haven't heard before.
    We are not alarmed, just curious about this new behavior. This site is great and people have been soo helpful. THANK YOU[​IMG]

2. blefky

blefky life in the yard

Mar 18, 2010
    stamford, ct
    These behaviors are normal signs that your girls are becoming sexually mature, and would be willing to accept the advances of a rooster. Egg laying generally follows within a couple of weeks (give or take) of this behavior. Don't forget to offer free choice oyster shell when they begin to lay. Congratulations! [​IMG]

3. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    It means with 26 chickens, you need to start collecting recipes to use up lots of eggs. Get ready! The previous poster is absolutely right.

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yes, it's normal. They are submitting to the rooster. (you)

If you pay close attention, you'll be able to tell when yours are really close to laying. You may or may not hear the egg song. But mine got really vocal the day they started laying. Just kind of pacing to and from the coop, bok bokking everywhere they went.

5. jason736

jason736 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2010
    Waterford
    Gotta thank everyone for the information. This is all new for us and it's very helpful. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by