17 day old chick - Crop ALWAYS empty

calliebeth

Hatching
5 Years
Jul 15, 2014
Seeking advice for my 17 day old Wheaten Maran who continues to have an empty crop. It doesn't even feel like she has a crop, but of course I know she does. She is eating and drinking, but her crop during morning, afternoon and evening is always empty. Her poop is mostly normal (sometimes it is a little runny but not water consistency). She had an impacted crop 4 few days ago and that was fixed within a day. I have looked through her poop and don't see any worms. Not sure what to do, but with each day she seems a little more lethargic. If it was more full and squishy I would maybe suspect sour crop, but it feels completely empty. Please help, thanks!!

Can you take it aside and feed it some egg, yogurt, and some wet chicken feed? Make sure the chick is not dehydrated or being kept from food. Coccidiosis can be a problem once they are a few weeks old and on the ground, and symptoms include poor appetite, diarrhea or blood in poop, lethargy, puffing up or hunched posture. Corid is used for treatment in the water for 5 days if you think that might be a problem.

Back
Top Bottom