17 healthy chics- 3 with "special needs" What do I do?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lynlei, Dec 8, 2009.

1. lynlei

lynlei Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2009
    Hello all, I am a first time poster, first time hatcher- this site is amazing!
    I recently learned that my neighbor owned and would be happy to lend me an incubator, and decided to try to hatch some experimental mutt chicken eggs. I have light Brahmas, RIR, Black sexlinks, and Americauna girls, plus a light Brahma daddy and a Wyandotte daddy. We got all of our chickens last spring and I am totally hooked.
    Fast forward- 20 eggs hatched despite an 8 hour power outage early on, and also a temperature spike over night one night... worry worry worry. They were due today but started hatching Sunday afternoon. However, 3 chicks from some of the last eggs to hatch yesterday and last night seem to have ulcers of some sort, I believe from the belly button. I think. Anyway, one seems not too bad, one seems kinda pretty bad, and one poor chic really isn't looking good. What causes this and what can I do if anything???
    The other 17 are peeping away, fluffed up, and seem healthy and active. There are still a few eggs that pipped but don't seem to be hatching, and a few that haven't done a thing. I started with 46, pulled 12 that were infertile, and left 34 in the incubator. Is 20 hatched low? Might they still hatch? I'm totally attached to every egg!
    Sorry- lots of questions I know. Thanks!

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    ETA: [​IMG]

I had one that tore it's umbilical area hatching as well. I pushed what I could back in and covered it with a band aid. (to keep the others from pecking at him) I kept it clean and replaced band aids as needed, but I didn't expect him to make it. He made it through the first couple days to my surprise, then I noticed that he had a lot of fluid build up around the wound. So again, I didn't expect him to make it because I thought it was infected. They little bugger pulled through just fine and is now 6 weeks old. He has had some issues with pasty butt, so that has required some extra work. Also, his feather development is behind. (he has no tail feathers yet)

I know speckledhen had one do the same thing and she pushed it back in and super glued the wound.

Here is a pic of what my injured BR looked like:
    [​IMG]

And him at 5 weeks. He is the biggest sweety:
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2009
  3. lynlei

Nov 9, 2009
    He's a cute little buggar [​IMG]
    I think this little guy is suffering and I need to cull him. How do I do that? WAHHHHH

4. Nostalchic

Nostalchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi Lynlei,
    You'll get many opinions and lots of info on this if you do a search of this site but, honestly, with a very young chick like this, the quickest and easiest way for both of you - but especially for the little chick, if YOU can do it- is to use a VERY SHARP pair of shears and snip his little head off. The worst part of doing this is the initial apprehension, but it's so quick and takes no preparation. It's very sad but unfortunately comes with the territory. Good luck.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  5. rarebreedeggs4u

rarebreedeggs4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    Morrow, AR
    Quote:I COMPLETELY agree with this. I have had to do it once. I held the poor little guy down inside a trash bag and did the deed and just dropped him in. I didn't want to see it, but I knew it needed to be done and as quickly as possible.

6. carolynb

carolynb Chicken Kisser

May 18, 2009
    Raynham
    I know with certain animals it's peaceful if you put them in the freezer. They kind of just go to sleep. My vet recommended this once for a hamster I had that was dying. I wouldn't be able to cut off a chicks head...that's just me...so I thought I would offer an alternative. Good luck!! [​IMG]

7. lynlei

Nov 9, 2009
    It happens to be about 15 degrees outside and my husband said put them out in the sun... ug my tummy hurts [​IMG] thanks everyone.
    What do you all think about mutt chickens? I have 22 birds that are free range- I don't know who mates with who, or even who's eggs are who's. Some interesting little chics!

8. carolynb

carolynb Chicken Kisser

May 18, 2009
    Raynham
    Pics please??? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by