17 Hens, 18 Eggs a day- for 3 days now!

R_Chickens

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 19, 2011
Okay, I've already accused my 10 yr old daughter of miscounting, then told my wife she was nuts (yeah, that went over about as well as you would imagine), and tonight I had no choice but to give in...IT'S A MIRACLE!!!!

We have 20 Sex linked hybrids of White Rock and Rhode Island Red. They are 6 months old, have been laying since July 5th. The Roosters are VERY white, the Hens are VERY Red. All the characteristics are correct for Roo vs Hen.

We had a few days where we were short one egg (16), but are SURE there wasn't a leftover the 2nd and 3rd times (The first was a surprise, so who knows).

So....Are they playing catch-up, or is someone laying doubles?

We have been getting one giant double-yolk egg daily for about a month. We had 3 rubber eggs (perfect eggs, but the shells are chalk and soft, as though someone forgot to apply the hard shell) over the past month. We feed a balanced layer with calcium and our shells are quite thick (except for those 3).

Our Roo is starting everyone about 4am, so maybe someone is working a 'double-shift' ?
big_smile.png

What do you think? Should I try to tell my wife and daughter they are still nuts?

Back
Top Bottom