17 Hens, 18 Eggs a day- for 3 days now!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by R_Chickens, Sep 3, 2011.

1. R_Chickens

R_Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Okay, I've already accused my 10 yr old daughter of miscounting, then told my wife she was nuts (yeah, that went over about as well as you would imagine), and tonight I had no choice but to give in...IT'S A MIRACLE!!!!

We have 20 Sex linked hybrids of White Rock and Rhode Island Red. They are 6 months old, have been laying since July 5th. The Roosters are VERY white, the Hens are VERY Red. All the characteristics are correct for Roo vs Hen.

We had a few days where we were short one egg (16), but are SURE there wasn't a leftover the 2nd and 3rd times (The first was a surprise, so who knows).

So....Are they playing catch-up, or is someone laying doubles?

We have been getting one giant double-yolk egg daily for about a month. We had 3 rubber eggs (perfect eggs, but the shells are chalk and soft, as though someone forgot to apply the hard shell) over the past month. We feed a balanced layer with calcium and our shells are quite thick (except for those 3).

Our Roo is starting everyone about 4am, so maybe someone is working a 'double-shift' ? [​IMG]

What do you think? Should I try to tell my wife and daughter they are still nuts?

2. chi-rn

chi-rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
  3. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a scrawny barnyard mix that lays two eggs a day every 4th day. The 3rd day she doesn't lay at all and on the 4th there is one egg early am and another in the evening.

Weird little hen she is...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by