17 hens only 1 egg a day?!?!? What's happening?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickchickgirls, Nov 1, 2010.

1. chickchickgirls

chickchickgirls Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2010
    Oregon
    For the last two winters I have had only two hens(currently 2 1/2) who both layed pretty regularly even through the cold months. This last February, I added 15 new hens to the mix(about a year and a half right now), lost one of my original ladies and a new one, and hatched three chicks (hens)who are about 7 months old. We went from getting 10-12 eggs a day to suddenly down to 1-2 a day. A couple appear to be starting molting, but why would so many stop all at once. I know the weather change affects them, but 17 hens and only 1 egg a day? Should I be concerned or were my two original ladies just freaks of nature that never stopped laying? [​IMG]

2. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    If they are the same age they will moult at nearly the same time--about a year after they first lay.

3. chickchickgirls

chickchickgirls Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2010
    Oregon
    Thanks! Thinking back on it, my older girl didn't molt the first winter, but she did last year. The majority is probably getting ready to molt. I have noticed some of the leghorns feathers around. Guess I won't worry too much about them then.

4. urbanfarmer101

urbanfarmer101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh, I feel your pain. I have 32 birds and get 2 eggs a day. This has been going on for weeks. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by