17 hr old chick keeps toppling over

naakte

Songster
8 Years
Apr 10, 2011
Branson, missouri
This is my first hatch, and I am unsure what to do. one of the chicks can not keep her balance. at first I thought it was cute and just kept righting it when it would get stuck on its backside ( they are very chubby lil chicks) now this is the only one doing it. I am thinking of putting it in a cup to force it to stay upright. would this be a good idea? what could the problem be? this is a miniature serama chick

Donna in Branson

i was so hoping for a fast reply. I am going to put this chick in a cup and pray I am doing the right thing. I will check this every few minutes and continue to hope for advise
Donna

Quote:
It could be "wryneck" sndrome. Does it keep looking up until it flips over? If so you need to give it electrolites and vitamins. Goggle "wryneck syndrome" and see if the description matches.

i looked at splay leg photos and no that is not it for sure ( a chicken doing the splits!!!), glad to know how to fix it should this ever happen though, the crooked neck no i dont think it is this chicks problem. They are awfully fat little chicks, could it be because they are just way too fat? I have had day old chicks that i got at the feed store and they never were so fat and none rolled onto their backs ever, but none were serama's so maybe this has to do with my chick being a serama. all 5 are very fat per their tiny size. I did put the little chick in a cup small enough to make her stand up. i put the cup in the brooder near the thermomometer. this chick does not like the cup and is chirping very loud. I am going to take her out every hour and see if she will stand up. Thankyou again very much for your replies and if you think of anything else please write as i will check this every hour.

worried Chick mom in Branson Donna

Back
Top Bottom