17 week old Ameraucanas and I still cannot tell if male or female.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by rarebear, Sep 23, 2012.

1. rarebear

rarebear Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2012
    North Carolina
    grrrrrr, I hatched these sweet birds and still cannot tell of they are male or female. They are 17 weeks. They do not have any pointy saddle or hackle feathers yet. They are submissive to the chickens that are only 3 weeks older and bully them. Their combs are pink but have not protruded. First 4 photos are Poppet. last 4 photos are Pixiesticks.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    All pretty pullets :)

3. rarebear

Apr 5, 2012
    North Carolina
    WOW, i hope so!!!! Thanks.

4. DuckieTam

DuckieTam Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2012
    Battle Mountain, NV
    They look like Pullets. I have 14 10 week old Ameraucanas and mine are all pullets (one was supposed to be a roo), and look like yours. My first batch of Ameraucanas had one roo and I knew he was a roo by the time he was 5 weeks old that he was a he. His comb was very different than the girls at that young age.

5. rarebear

Apr 5, 2012
    North Carolina
    These Ameraucanas are really tough to tell the sex. I am fairly new at this but hatched 2 batches last May of different breeds. I was able to tell their sex fairly early on, but these have fooled me with the combs. They have a hatch mate that is a blue with a pale single line in the comb. I also hatched another lav with these two but was fairly certain at 6 weeks that he was a roo. He had a bright red comb that was protruding on top. These two have always had a rosy colored comb but not a distinct one line, more of a curvy looking comb and definately not protruding. When did your one roo begin crowing? Thanks for your input!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  6. DuckieTam

DuckieTam Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2012
    Battle Mountain, NV
    Unfortunately my roo was killed by neighbor dogs at 6 weeks old. I never got them to this age, but he was a boy he just looked so much different than the girls . When I got them the local feed store showed me how to sex them according to their wings. The females have 2 rows of wing feathers where the males only have one, but this only works in the first 2-3 days.

7. rarebear

Apr 5, 2012
    North Carolina
    awww, so sad. I had a French Copper Black roo I hatched but had to give him up to a friend as I am in the city. I want to need him with my Lavender's to get olive eggers. I tried that wing tip too. It obviously worked for you!

8. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    17 weeks? I think pullets too. Poppet looks pretty red, but I think it's just the one picture. Let me see if I have any pics of mine to compare - they're about 15 weeks right now.

The dark ones are the roos - far left and front right. Pullet in the back.

[​IMG]

Two pullets

[​IMG]

Roo

[​IMG]

Hope this helps

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  9. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    I think you have pullets, hackle and saddle feathers would be really obvious by now.

10. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    can you post full body shots head to tail please i want to say pullets but without full body shots i'm not gonna be 100% sure on that yet

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by