17 week old Australorp hen alive but won't wake up/redish stools

melissaa737

Hatching
Jan 22, 2016
Today when I came down to my hen house my hen was sitting in the upstairs part and sleeping. Shes not very responsive but I know she's alive. I knew something was wrong because my other hen was in the downstairs part crying and they never go upstairs or downstairs by themselves. I had bought them both at the county fair back in october and I just can't stand the thought of one of them passing and leaving the other alone becuse they love each other. Whenever they are separated the start crying so I brought them both up to the house. They are now sitting in a box with water and food with pine shavings. She had red poop for a few days. The other one is comforting the sick one right now and im about to give them a blanket. I dont know whats wrong with her and need help could anyone provide any insight on this?

welcome-byc.gif

Might be coccidiosis. You need to separate both birds (much as they won't like it!) and medicate their water with Sulmet,or, preferably, Corid (tractor supply sells both I believe), or, if you prefer a natural treatment, you may want to use apple cider vinegar. Make sure you medicate both birds since the healthy one has been exposed to the disease also. Some people also add a vitamin/electrolyte powder to the water to boost their immune systems.

Last edited:
:welcome
Might be coccidiosis. You need to separate both birds (much as they won't like it!) and medicate their water with Sulmet,or, preferably, Corid (tractor supply sells both I believe), or, if you prefer a natural treatment, you may want to use apple cider vinegar. Make sure you medicate both birds since the healthy one has been exposed to the disease also. Some people also add a vitamin/electrolyte powder to the water to boost their immune systems. 
Thankyou, she just passed away. We have icy roads and bad weather here and everything is closed. My moms gonna go to tractor supply to get the corid for our other one since she was exposed to it. She flew up to a high ledge in my garage and she seems upset I just wish there were a way I could comfort her:( I can imagine shed be sad since they grew up together.

Thankyou, she just passed away. We have icy roads and bad weather here and everything is closed. My moms gonna go to tractor supply to get the corid for our other one since she was exposed to it. She flew up to a high ledge in my garage and she seems upset I just wish there were a way I could comfort her:( I can imagine shed be sad since they grew up together.

So sorry for your loss. You may want to consider getting your other hen a friend to keep her company. Many hatcheries sell "ready to lay" pullets that are old enough to go right out into the coop with your surviving chicken. Good luck with your chickens! :)

Back
Top Bottom