17 week old barred Rocks hen or rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Bea Vanders, Mar 18, 2015.

1. Bea Vanders

Bea Vanders Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2015
    I have 2 17 week old barred rocks no crowing occurring one has had a comb since we got them at 8 weeks but it didn't go red till 10 weeks and developed small waddles same time it has always been a bit more dominant but friendlier than the other who now also has a red comb and tiny waddles and has become very docile friendly and easy to handle. Of the 2 I am pretty certain the latter is a hen as she has taken to squatting on your lap, the grass,anywhere. This is her

[​IMG]

This the other more ambiguous one but I don't get sight saddle feathers and he/she is only just starting to show some more predominant white on the back feathers

[​IMG]

Going by colouring I would assume both are girls?

2. applebutter14

applebutter14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2014
    Iowa
    right now i would say hens, but i dont know for sure...[​IMG]

3. BonRae67

BonRae67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2014
    Florida
    I am thinking both girls. My 8 week old roo is crowing. So I am thinking not crowing yet then girl.

4. Bea Vanders

Mar 18, 2015
    I am really hoping both are girls as we are in suburbia and not allowed roos. They are both really tame and follow you around, let you pick up and pet, eat out of your hand. They have such personality I don't want to part with either.

5. applebutter14

Jun 8, 2014
    Iowa
    they sound very sweet!!! where did you get them?

6. Bea Vanders

Mar 18, 2015
    A friend who keeps many breeds picked up a batch of unsexed chicks and I asked for some knowing nothing about chicken breeds as this is my first foray. I run daycare from home and have four kids of my own so wanted one the awesome experience of seeing the egg laying/ collecting watching them grow. Seeing the sustainability of feeding them scraps and using the poop on veggies. I feel very lucky to have stumbled on such a beautiful friendly breed and never anticipated how much our family would fall in love with them. The eggs for us will be a bonus.

7. applebutter14

Jun 8, 2014
    Iowa
    i got mine from murray mcmurray hatchery.. they are really cute

8. Bea Vanders

Mar 18, 2015
    Do you have pictures? They are such a pretty chook even for the lack of colour. My heart is set on barred rocks forever I think.

9. applebutter14

Jun 8, 2014
    Iowa
    this is a picture of my barred rocks 4 or 5 days old:
    [​IMG]

10. Bea Vanders

Mar 18, 2015
    Cute! [​IMG] These are my girls? Side by side.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by