17 week old cochin sexing

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Little Cluckers, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Little Cluckers

Little Cluckers Keep Calm and Buy Chickens

Aug 8, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    Pullet ??? [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. smarsh2

smarsh2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    that's a tough one. i would say roo, but really am not sure.

3. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Rooster. Are you sure it is pure cochin? Tail is not poofy enough. Hens do not get large combs at all.

4. Little Cluckers

Little Cluckers Keep Calm and Buy Chickens

Aug 8, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    Its a hatchery bird so, no, not sure its pure stock. Actually, the type is just awful.... I know just based on the comb alone that it looks like a roo. But, the hackle and saddle feathers don't seem to be coming out like a roo--at least I can't see them. Wouldn't those be pretty obvious by now. And also behavior-wise she seems pullet like. No crowing. It seems to be learning to cluck like the Welsummer that I have of the same age that I am almost 100% certain is a pullet.....

5. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Lil' cluckers :

Its a hatchery bird so, no, not sure its pure stock. Actually, the type is just awful.... I know just based on the comb alone that it looks like a roo. But, the hackle and saddle feathers don't seem to be coming out like a roo--at least I can't see them. Wouldn't those be pretty obvious by now. And also behavior-wise she seems pullet like. No crowing. It seems to be learning to cluck like the Welsummer that I have of the same age that I am almost 100% certain is a pullet.....

Not on Cochins, in fact I have an almost year old Roo that is Show Stock and he barely has any saddle or hackle feathers. They are not as prominent as on other breeds. Another thing to check is the shape of the feathers on the back, a hen's will be rounded, roo's will be pointy. Of course being hatchery it might be hard to tell even with that.​

6. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    I think roo. Crowing does not always happen when you think it is supposed to. There a a lot of factors that can keep a rooster from crowing when he is supposed to.

7. kennedyscochins

kennedyscochins Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    Big Clifty
    I would say rooster. Mine are 7 months old and do not offer to crow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by