1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

17 week old layers?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by fishandchix1, Jan 29, 2016.

1. fishandchix1

fishandchix1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2015
    Ocean City, Maryland
    I have 2 gold laced Wyandottes, both 17 weeks old. Every time I approach them they go down in the crouch position, like my other layers. They are only 17 weeks old. Are they going to be laying soon? Pics will follow

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    They will like start laying soon, but how soon, soon is might be within the next couple of days or another 2 or 3 weeks.

3. fishandchix1

fishandchix1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2015
    Ocean City, Maryland
    [​IMG]

They are still very small, that is why I'm curious. I prefers them for McM hatchery, as LF, and they are A lot smaller than my BOs when they started laying. Do you think it's a possibility that they could be bantams?

4. sweetbeak

sweetbeak Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine started laying at 17 weeks and the eggs were tiny. I got about 3 a week now daily.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    That pic gives nothing for scale...take pic next to other birds of same age or something like a standard 5 gallon bucket for scale.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by