17 week old red stars have started laying!! Important question!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cebesue, Sep 19, 2011.

1. cebesue

cebesue New Egg

Sep 19, 2011
    I let mine free range and have boxes set up under the horse barn. been getting one egg a day in boxes. this morning when we went to check i heard a hen growling behind the feed bins. so we left and gave her awhile to finish. went back out to check and there was a dang nest of 12 eggs!!!! I have been getting one egg a day for a week, i thought. if those 12 have been in the nest for more than 2 or 3 days are they still ok to eat or not? I am sad to give them to the the dogs!! lol!

My grand parents always had chickens so i decided it was my time to start the tradition back up!! I just never paid attention to egg 101!! Thanks for any info!! Cynthia House

2. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

My rule is usually if I don't know how long they've been there (sounds like about a week to me) then I won't eat them. If they were on or near the ground, then they can absorb bacteria and god knows what else [​IMG] I've had bator eggs explode because they had been sitting out for a week and we didn't know it.

3. cebesue

cebesue New Egg

Sep 19, 2011
    thanks abunch!! I will feed to the dogs!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by