17 week pullets and laying in nests

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MuskokaChick, Apr 26, 2011.

1. MuskokaChick

MuskokaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Muskoka Region Ontario
    Hello

I have 11 Red Stars and they are 17 weeks tomorrow. 1 is laying in the nest, and 2 are laying on the coop floor (one near the waterer and one under the perch) Is this an issue at all? We go in about 3x/day to check them out so the eggs are not sitting. Is there anything I can do to get them to lay in the nest?

[​IMG] tia

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    When they first start to lay, they don't always have control over the process and may drop one anywhere, anytime, even when on the roosts. This is usually not a big problem. Once they gain control over this process, they look for nests to lay them in.

However, sometimes they decide some spot other than the nesting box is a good place to lay. If they are in the habit of laying somewhere else and expecially if they have formed a nest there, you may have a problem. Sounds like this may be your case.

I find it helpful to teach them where to lay to put a fake egg in the nesting box. A golf ball, wooden or rock egg, or plastic Easter egg can work. Chickens like to lay where others are laying. If yours are in the habit of laying somewhere else, this might or might not retrain them. It does not work for me when I have one laying on the floor, but some people on this forum have posted that it worked for them.

I built my nests so I could lock a hen in there if I wanted to. Or lock them out for that matter. I over-design and over-build things. That is just me. When I have one regularly laying on the floor, I go by a lot and when I catch them in that nest on the floor, I lock them in the nesting box until they lay the egg. That usually takes a half hour but some take longer. Usually doing this once teaches them where to lay, but I had one stubborn hen that took over three hours to lay her egg, then I had to do it again the next day. Eventually, she did learn.

Good luck with this. It can be a little frustrating dealing with it.

3. MuskokaChick

Feb 20, 2011
    Muskoka Region Ontario
    Thanks!

They only started laying this past Saturday (2 eggs in the same nest) Sunday (2 eggs in different nests) Monday (1 in nest, two on floor) Tuesday (same as Monday)

I will go out and put a few fake easter eggs in the nests and keep them there in hopes they get onto it.

[​IMG]

shannon

4. tryingtohaveitall

tryingtohaveitall Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Ohio
    I am no expert but with my experience they often start out laying in different places and then quickly figure out that the nest boxes are where they're supposed to lay. Last summer I was briefly finding eggs on my deck, kind of like an Easter egg hunt. [​IMG]

5. Laigaie

Laigaie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Fayetteville, AR
    We were getting eggs in our potted blackberry bush until the girls figured it out. The golfball was getting kicked out until they got ready, too. Now, they've got the idea to use the nestbox, and they aren't kicking the golfball out anymore.

6. MuskokaChick

Feb 20, 2011
    Muskoka Region Ontario
    We put fake eggs in the nest, so here's hoping [​IMG]

7. annep

annep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Quote:Ditto..Had a golf ball in there, and they kicked it all around, it would just disappear..But, the egg has stayed put..I keep seeing mine moving hay around, getting ready, but nothing yet...still waiting..I dont remember how old mine are, but I do remember when we got them thinking that they should be laying right at Easter, and I think in my mind that would have put them at 20 weeks,.

8. MuskokaChick

Feb 20, 2011
    Muskoka Region Ontario
    Mine are supposively 17 weeks today

I just went in and one was on the nest...so there is the one egg that gets laid in there...hope the other two follow suit today.

What kind do you have and how many?

9. annep

annep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    I have 8 Rir's and just got two EEs that are right at one year, supposedly...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by